1 2 3 4 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 3:45 AM by getarchive

McAfee delay in protection at start up

cuppatea

Hi All,

I hope this is posted in the right place I found the new lay-out quite confusing!

Today just prior to downloading a patch for vista to my Focus Photo Studio program, I did an update on Mcafee which seemed quite large and required a restart.

I downloaded the patch and scanned it before installing and McAffe said it was clean.  I then restarted with the internet disconnected in order to do a full scan as a precaution.

At that point I found although everything seemed to be fully loaded, a check on security centre showed firewall and scanner off!  After about a minute or so it switched back on again.  It seem that it would be quite possible to connect to the web without any protection for a while if booting up with the internet connected.

Has anyone else noticed this please?  I wonder if it's the Photo Studio patch or the result of the latest McAfee update?

Thank you for any help,

cuppatea.

• 1. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up
          Dinz

Hello cuppatea,

Could you please provide me with the following details ;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
          How is the computer connected to internet ?
          Do we have any other security software installed in the computer ?

Please get back to me with the above details , we can get this one resolved for you .

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community moderator

• 2. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up
            cuppatea

Hi Dinz,

Thank you for responding,

The computer is running vista, with regular updates, version 6.0 (Build 6002:Service Pack 2).

It's connected to the broadband router by a hardwire connection, I do not use the wi-fi function.

Only McAfee security is enabled.

Regards,

cuppatea

• 3. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up

Hi,

I am Facing the same problem,since last few days (after an auto update to security center which required restart)my MaAfee Security center does not start as soon as the computer boots and thus the windows action center raises an alarm for virus protection & firewall not enabled.but it starts after about 3 to 4 minutes of computer start.

I am currently running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

The computer connects to internet using a WiFi connection

There is no other security program installed on the computer.

Regards,

Adam

• 4. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up

Hi Dinz,

Same problem here, since a week or so (probably also after an auto update of security center with required restart). Ever since, the Security Center only starts AFTER EVERYTHING ELSE is loaden.

Windows security center does NOT raise a pop-up alarm for disabled Firewall & Malware protection, but when turned on manually, it shows both sections in RED and only turns to GREEN when McAfee finally comes in.

Neither does Mcafee Security Center come up wirh an alarm that the PC is at risk.

I am currently running windows Vista Home Premium

The computer connects to internet using a wireless router (secured)

There is no other security program installed on the computer.

I did a full Mcafee scan + another one using PREVX 3.0.5.187.

No viruses, malware or rootkits were detected.

McAfee Virtual Technician didn't report any problem (session ID 27166953).

Regards,

trilobite

Message was edited by: trilobite on 8/17/10 9:53:28 AM CDT

Message was edited by: trilobite on 8/17/10 9:58:04 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up
                  cuppatea

Hi,

I think its worth mentioning to anyone reading this post, that as trilobite says, we are not getting any warning that McAfee is not loading at once.

The only way to know is when booting up, at the point you would normally feel the start up is complete, to open Microsoft Security Centre and see the status of your McAfee protection.

Best wishes,

cuppatea.

• 6. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up

I Use WIN 7 and my windows action center  AT times states that Virus Scan & Firewall not found and at times before it detects its abscence ,McAfee Starts!!!

Message was edited by: getarchive on 8/17/10 11:47:22 AM CDT
                    • 7. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up

WILL ANYONE REPLY ON THIS FORUM PLEASE??

• 8. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up

Today's Total Protection Update solved the problem (at least at my PC's ;-)

Virtual Technician data:

Virusscan 14.5.113

Security Center 10.5.195

Firewall 11. 5. 135

• 9. Re: McAfee delay in protection at start up
                          cuppatea

Glad you have got it sorted trilobite.   I have just tried updating mine after reading your post, but it's unfortunately still the same.

I did an experiment with the router disconnected, and confirmed that I can launch the browser completely without any firewall or anti-virus protection.

Trying to view it from a glass half full aspect, but getting a little less optimistic daily!

Regards,

cuppatea.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next