1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 11:22 AM by timrbetts

HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Please help me !!!

I shutdown my PC normally. Normally I just leave it on all the time, but yesterday I decided to shut it down and what do you know happens when I go to boot it up, it says, "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)" and won't boot.

I have Windows XP. Apparently this has something to do with McAfee's Endpoint Encryption software, but I don't know for sure.

What is the procedure for getting back into a bootable state?

I'm currently using Spotmau Powersuite to backup the disk to an image on an external USB drive (thankfully it can see both drives to even do this).

I've done google searches but there appears to be very little on the subject or it so dated that it may lead me down the wrong path and I need to use extreme caution with whatever I use to try to resolve this.

Please help if you can. Cheers -- Tim.

• 1. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

I've moved your post to our EEPC area for better attention.

• 2. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

EEPC Emergency Boot procedure should be able to resolve your problem.

• 3. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Thanks for replying.

First thing my administrator tried to do was to build some XML key file (SDB file?) from their database (called EPO I think) by searching for my computer name, but they couldn't find it. They are still looking for it under another name, but assuming they can't find it, does that mean I'm all out of luck?

Also note my PC is not physically connected to the network and I do not enable network support when trying any of the following.

They also suggested that I try my network user id and password when prompted after clicking Token in EETech, but always says unknown user!!

My companies administration team has given me various ISOs that I've burnt to CDs to boot from -

• SafeTech SafeBoot - The about box says, "SafeBoot SafeTech. Version 5.1.1.0" -
                • I enter the authorization code, then click SafeBoot -> Authenticate from SBFS -
                  • It says, "Authenticating user failed with error: E0050004".
                • It does have an Emergency Boot option but says it requires Authentication and Authorization -
                  • So since I can't authenticate I can't get any further.
              • Wintech.iso - The about box says, "SbWinTech Version 5.1.0.1. Copyright (C) 1991-2007 SafeBoot N.V." -
                • I put in the Authorization Code for today, then go into SafeBoot -> Authenticate from SBFS -
                  • It says, Error Code 0xe0050004, The wrong version of the SafeBoot Client is currently active
                  • So I can't even get far enough to try a user name.
                • I didn't see any Emergency Boot option.
              • Wintech6.iso - The about box says, "McAfee EETech 6.0.1.7. McAfee, Inc. Copyright (C) 1991-2009 McAfee, etc." -
                • I click Authorize, the click Token, and enter my network user id as the user name, but says, "Error EE050002 Unknown User".
                • I've tried all kinds of things for the user name, i.e. my network id, sbadmin, administrator, the user id of the person who built my machines, but they all are unrecognized.

They suspect that the disk may have been defragged using a third-party tool and caused the issue, but I don't recall ever doing thing, besides, I need to focus on a solution not a cause.

Are there any other ways to access my data?

Please help if you can. It would mean everything to be able to get access to my data.

Cheers -- Tim

• 4. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

First thing my administrator tried to do was to build some XML key file (SDB file?) from their database (called EPO I think) by searching for my computer name, but they couldn't find it. They are still looking for it under another name, but assuming they can't find it, does that mean I'm all out of luck?

That eventually might be it, but they are not looking hard enough. Give them some clues by providing Disk Information from EETech tool.

Also note my PC is not physically connected to the network and I do not enable network support when trying any of the following.

Doesn't have to be on the network to run recovery.

They also suggested that I try my network user id and password when prompted after clicking Token in EETech, but always says unknown user!!

Unlikely to work, unless you used the product for some time and memorized those credentials.

My companies administration team has given me various ISOs that I've burnt to CDs to boot from -

• SafeTech SafeBoot - The about box says, "SafeBoot SafeTech. Version 5.1.1.0" -
                  • I enter the authorization code, then click SafeBoot -> Authenticate from SBFS -
                    • It says, "Authenticating user failed with error: E0050004".
                  • It does have an Emergency Boot option but says it requires Authentication and Authorization -
                    • So since I can't authenticate I can't get any further.

Wrong version.

• Wintech.iso - The about box says, "SbWinTech Version 5.1.0.1. Copyright (C) 1991-2007 SafeBoot N.V." -
                  • I put in the Authorization Code for today, then go into SafeBoot -> Authenticate from SBFS -
                    • It says, Error Code 0xe0050004, The wrong version of the SafeBoot Client is currently active
                    • So I can't even get far enough to try a user name.
                  • I didn't see any Emergency Boot option.

Wrong version too.

• Wintech6.iso - The about box says, "McAfee EETech 6.0.1.7. McAfee, Inc. Copyright (C) 1991-2009 McAfee, etc." -
                  • I click Authorize, the click Token, and enter my network user id as the user name, but says, "Error EE050002 Unknown User".
                  • I've tried all kinds of things for the user name, i.e. my network id, sbadmin, administrator, the user id of the person who built my machines, but they all are unrecognized.

Right version, but Emergency Boot does not run from ISO (in general). You need bootable floppy with EETech on it.

They suspect that the disk may have been defragged using a third-party tool and caused the issue, but I don't recall ever doing thing, besides, I need to focus on a solution not a cause.

Likely, but there might be other reasons too. Agree, focus on repair.

Are there any other ways to access my data?

You could use also ISO to access your data, but must use EEPC credentials (you forgot them, and BTW they might be useless, since PBFS is lost) or, XML file export from ePO for your PC. But IT support guys must locate your PC first.

Please help if you can. It would mean everything to be able to get access to my data.

Ask them for bootable floppy (or image of it, so you can make floppy yourself), with EETech on it.

Using that to boot your PC, record Disk Information and send it to them, so they can give you XML. The rest is documented here (Page 19 onward):

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22404/en_US/McAfee%20EETech.pdf

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Wow! This is so encouraging. I really hope they can use this information to help me. Thanks so very much.

I used the "McAfee EETech 6.0.1.7" and passed on the entire page of information that pops up when I click on "Disk Information" including GUID, AlgID, Sector Map, Sector Map Count, and Key Check from the  "Disk Information" section, and everything else from the "Disk Power Fail State", "Disk Crypt List", and "Disk Partitions" sections.

I've also referred them to this thread in the hopes that they may be able to get more of your excellent advice in trying to build that XML file for me.

I also mentioned the possibility of doing this Emergency Boot from a floppy, but not sure I understood that one fully.

Thanks so much again. It really means a lot that a person such as you is watching and responding to my thread. Thanks.

Cheers -- Tim.

• 6. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Peter_eepc,

I'm Tim's IT guy.  I have gone through and created the boot flobby as suggested and have the disk information, but I don't see any fields that are helpful enought to create the XML. Can you point me in the right direction for this? I've looked at a different xml I exported and the details are not even close to the same.

Thanks,

Gb

Message was edited by: gbrown2 on 8/18/10 7:36:42 AM CDT
                    • 7. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Can you provide what you have got? You can send info as community Private Mail.

• 8. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Hey Peter -

It sounded like you and my IT guy were making some progress today. What's the word man?

I know, I need to be patient I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Please let me know if you need any other information from me, or you'd like me to try anything that would help you.

Thanks so much for all your effort man. Its really appreciated.

Cheers -- Tim.

• 9. Re: HELP: Windows XP won't boot "EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Peter_eepc,

I'm Tim's IT guy.  I have gone through and created the boot flobby as suggested and have the disk information, but I don't see any fields that are helpful enought to create the XML. Can you point me in the right direction for this? I've looked at a different xml I exported and the details are not even close to the same.

Did you locate his system in ePO? Use system name, user name or MAC address to identify his system.

(Sorry, Disk Information does not identfy system name (as I thought) and disk GUID is not something that you could easily search ePO for.)

1 2 Previous Next