4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2010 12:32 AM by john3

Mcafee will not run

A few days ago the My Security Shield program showed up on my computer.I already had mcafee installed and up to date, and it would scan, but never get rid of the problem. So I looked it up online, and tried downloading various spyware removal tools. I first tried, spyhunter, which detected the malware, but wanted $40 to remove it. I tried malwarebyte's software next, but it wouldn't even start after installation. I tried to get back into mcafee, but every time I click on the icon, it wouldn't start either. The only program that would run was spyhunter, which I thought was suspect. So, I attempted to remove it. That was hard. I had to look through the list of running programs to find which one was giving the "access denied" message when I would try to manually delete the program file. I uninstalled mcafee and attempted to reinstall it with the 2010 backup cd. The computer recognizes it, but will not start the installation program. After that, I looked up the problem on this site, and found a boot disk file called SECURED2K which was supposed to fix the problem where mcafee won't start. I put the iso on a disc according to the instructions, and restarted the pc. Even when changing the boot sequence to  the cd drive, the computer won't start with the disk.

I think im making more knots than I am removing them. I hope I put this in the right place. My computer is running XP home with service pack 3. I currently have it in safe mode. Help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Mcafee will not run
          k3tg

Check and delete if you have any third party software in control panel

Check and delete if you have the other security software's files & folders in

(1) C:\program files\common files

(2) C:\Documents & settings\all users\application data

I think you should start over with your McAfee installatation as apparently there is some corruption in your computer. Please download this http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe to remove McAfee from your computer and reboot it. Restart the computer and tap F8 key while it restarts. From the advanced boot options select safe mode with networking

Then run the McAfee preinstall tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe and try to once again install from your online account page.

Let us know how it works for you

• 2. Re: Mcafee will not run

k3tg,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, It still won't run, even with the backup disk. The uninstall and preinstall that you included went smoothly, though. Before I tried those, I found some files that looked to be anti-spyware related in those folders you mentioned, and deleted them. After trying to reinstall, I remembered to check for hidden files. In the common files/adobe folder, there was an access denied message for one of the folders named "activeX," plus a few more folders with the "access denied" message. Could these be a problem? Thanks.

• 3. Re: Mcafee will not run
              k3tg

Sounds like you are infected with malware. Try following the suggestions in this document and run the stinger tool.

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

If nothing seems to work after following the suggestions, see if you can download this free program http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php onto a usb stick from a non infected pc. I suggest you rename the download and installation files to something you can easily remember as malwarae is writen to self protect itself. So by virtue of renaming the files you can install it onto the infected computer. When you get it installed check for the latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer if prompted to do so.

Another spyware program which is a good one is SuperAntispyware www.superantispyware.com I would suggest you repeat the same procedure as to renaming the files, etc.

• 4. Re: Mcafee will not run

The stinger did not work, but renaming the malwarebytes program seemed to fool it. Mcafee is back on, and hopefully this time it will be able to stop these malware programs. Thank you for your patience and hard work, k3tg. Much appreciated.