1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 5:08 PM by paullotion

Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"

There is a program called "My Security Shield" that is on my computer that I did not download. It has trojan, malware listed on it etc. It is what is called a "rogue" site that says I have infected files so that I can purchase their service. I need to know how to manually delete this program off of my computer.
      Thanks,
      Eddie

• 1. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"
          Peter M

The best removal guide for this rogue malware is HERE.

Scroll down that page as the first links you see are all adverts.

• 2. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"
            rmetzger

eddiemccloud wrote:

There is a program called "My Security Shield" that is on my computer that I did not download. It has trojan, malware listed on it etc. It is what is called a "rogue" site that says I have infected files so that I can purchase their service. I need to know how to manually delete this program off of my computer.
            Thanks,
            Eddie

Hi Eddie,

My Security Shield is in fact a Rogue program. So, I agree that you should Not purchase their services.

A really good description of this program can be found here at BleepingComputer.com http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-my-security-shield

with good instruction on how to remove this 'program.' Follow the instructions carefully using all of the steps listed. Note that you may need rkill.com and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware program. Also note that your Hosts file may have been changed and the need to manually repair this as well. Check for the 'Associated My Security Shield Files:' and manually remove as needed.

Good luck and post back with any more questions.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger (Ex-Brit beat me to it!) on 8/14/10 5:09:12 AM EDT
            • 3. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"

I'm having a similar problem as the original poster.  As the malware has apparently disabled me from downloading anything using Internet Explorer, I'm trying to download rkill and Malwarebytes on another computer (the one I'm working from at the moment) and then transferring the files using a flash drive.  Following the removal instructions you posted, when I try to download rkill on this computer my McAfee Anti-Virus apparently immediately deletes it, saying it detected and automatically deleted a trojan.  Is my McAfee Anti-Virus being overzealous, or is there really a trojan associated with rkill in this instance?  What do I do?  I have not tried running Malwarebytes without first running rkill, because there are things popping up all over the screen that I assume are associated with processes that need to be killed first.

• 4. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"
                Peter M

I know that you can at least download, update and run Malwarebytes in 'Safe Mode with Networking'  which you could try on the infected machine.

• 5. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"

Nope, I've tried Safe Mode With Networking, and it won't let me connect to the Internet.  Hence resorting to transferring files via a flash drive.

No answer to the question about rkill being perceived as a trojan and automatically deleted?

• 6. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"
                    Peter M

I have no idea on that score sorry.  I would ask about rkill on the BleepingComputer forums perhaps.   They are experts in that field.

• 7. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"

I am so grateful I looked you all up~that is exactly what is happening to me right now~I had a feeling something wasn't right but it projects itself witha similiar symbol to McAfee~I do not know what to do~I keep getting bombarded with messages that my computer is infected~(well I guess it is with this stupid thing) and I cannot even open some of programs~I am not very computer savvy ~but now they just want me to buy their software and it shows I have all kinds ov virus etc.

Should I just begin from scratch and clean my computer out~will that get rid of it. It even placed its icon right next to my McAfee Secure icon~i keep pressing no for all the pop up questions it asks me but I am confused because is it McAfee letting me know I am infected with this virus or the virus letting me know I am infected with a buch of virus's?

And how did this happen as I thought I was protected~Please offer any help~as I said I don't know a lot so I need someone to break it down for me. This is actually just a small laptop~Intel Pentium with Windows Vista~pretty new~this is the first time this has happened although I do have the discs it came with to clean it if that is the suggestion~

Thank you for being here~I can't believe that was the first thing I saw~just what is happening to me~

• 8. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"
                        Peter M

Formatting and reinstalling Windows would clean everything, yes, but it also means you have to install all updates, service packs etc and all your software and personal files again.

If it is My Security Shield follow the instructions I gaave in the first response in this thread.

If it isn't please post what name if any the malware has.

• 9. Re: Help!!..How do I remove the virus called "My Security Shield"

Ok... I'm having the same problem...

I followed the directions...

I got as far as downloading the Malwarebytes' Anti Malware to the desk top...

then as soon as I double click the malware it i get the box saying I must approve to continue...

I press continue and then I get a box saying ..."Application cannot be executed."

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

1 2 Previous Next