6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 9:59 AM by SergeM

More than one ePO server !

SergeM

Hi,

We presently have two separate ePO servers and are going to have a third soon.

Srv-1  was originally ePO 3.x, was upgraded to 4.0 last yeat and to 4.5 last week.

Srv-2  was originally ePO 4.0 and was upgraded to 4.5 this week.

Srv-3 will be ePO 4.5.

So all the servers are ePO 4.5.

Presently 95% of the agents are MA 4.0, we will upgrade to MA 4.5 "sometime soon".

My question :

I'm quite certain that I could configure the agents so they know more than

one ePO server and can use the other servers as failover.

How/where can I configure that ?

thanks for your help

Serge

• 1. Re: More than one ePO server !
          JoeBidgood
               I'm quite certain that I could configure the agents so they know more than

one ePO server and can use the other servers as failover.

How/where can I configure that ?

Unfortunately I'm afraid this is not correct - an agent can only be under the control of one server at a time. In ePO 4.5 you can move machines between servers, and MA 4.5 agents can fail over between agent handlers - but you can't fail over between servers.

Sorry

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: More than one ePO server !
            Sk1dMARK

Is it not possible with MA 4.5 and registering all the disparate ePO servers with each other and setting all epo servers to use the same sec keys?

Regards,

Mark

• 3. Re: More than one ePO server !
              JoeBidgood

That will allow agents to communicate with the servers, but there is no functionality that allows agents to fail over from one server to another (which is what I think the OP was asking.)

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: More than one ePO server !
                Richard Carpenter

If you are loking for server failover options, you could consider installing epo4.5 in a clustered environment using MSCS.  I think the process was detailed in a product install guide:

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 21000/PD21842/en_US/epo_450_cluster_install_guide_en-us.pdf

This method would utilise one Backend SQL2005/2008 remote Database, but would only provide Failover between cluster nodes which provide the application tier, the data tier could also be an SQL Cluster with multiple nodes.

This Application tier Cluster operation would rely on the Quorum drive (in a SAN environment) which without high network bandwidth utilisation would need to reside locally with each other.

This method would require you to re-deploy all your agents to update the epo Server IP address to the new Virtual cluster node ip addresses.

This method would create a new backend database, which you could either satr from scratch, or use the config screen to point the new epo4.5 application server to an existing DB, and add in the other client nodes from the two other databases using your prefered method.

Hope this helps ........

• 5. Re: More than one ePO server !
                  JoeBidgood

Again, though, I don't think this is what the OP is looking for - this provides availablility for one epo server, but doesn't provide any way of moving agents between multiple ePO servers. Perhaps the OP can comment?

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: More than one ePO server !
                    SergeM

Hi,

Thanks to everyone ! OP (=me) was busy with high priority end-users   and then had a long week-end out

Yes, I was hoping for a possibility to define one server as if it was an AH/DR for the other server and use it as a fallback (not cluster) AH in the MA.  (Love them acronyms); which Joe Bidgood showed is not possible...

Our goal is to have only one server and several AH/DR in the end. I was kinda hoping to a temp solution.

We will be moving agents between servers for the moment. Thing is two of the servers need to be removed and I'm worried about dormant PCs that may go looking for a retired server in, say, 2 months...

It seems I'll have to give new-server the DNS name of  old-server  as an alias and load   old-server's keys on the new-server. And hope all works nice.

Too bad, again thanks to everyone

Serge

Now as a related question (no bonus points ) if you can't have several servers, what use are the "Multi-Server xxx Summary" queries ?  Or are they meant for DRs ?

Message was edited by: Serge M. on 24/08/10 16:59:07 CEST