1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 9:33 AM by rmetzger

MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?

SergeM

Hi,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place, didn't see any topic for McAfee Installation Designer

I have to create an install package for preinstallation of VSE 8.7 on new PCs so I thought I'd use McAfee Installation Designer (MID) for this.

In the readme.txt I see following requirements:

• McAfee Installation Designer 8.7 is not supported on any 64-bit operating systems.
      • Processors : Intel only
      • OS (servers) : Windows 2000 and 2003 server
      • OS (workstations) : Windows XP

I'm not sure how I should understand this: does this mean that I can only _use_ MID on a system with thiese requirements or could it mean that the Installation Package it generates will not work on (e.g.) Vista or Windows 7 ?

The server requirements, do they mean I should run MID on our ePO server ?

Serge

• 1. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?

I've created packages that work on Win 7 and Win 2008 etc.

There is a bug though that you need to be aware of. You cannot deploy a MID created package from EPO to Vista.

Message was edited by: Mal09 on 13/08/10 7:00:29 PM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?
            SergeM

*Thanks*

I'm actually trying to create a package that will be used (somehow, by another team) to prepare the master for disk images that will be duplicated on ~1000 new PCs so these come with all software preinstalled.

I don't know (yet) if the new PCs will be using Windows 7, it's possible but I expect they'll come with WinXP.

Once installed and configured, the PCs should connect to our ePO server(s) to obtain updates and upgrades, this is only for initial installation.

(Since we're planing an upgrade of our ePO servers and possible new servers I'd wish we could delay this for a fortnight but that doesn't seem to be possible.)

Serge

• 3. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?

Have just been through the same myself. Created a package for my deployment area to use with Windows 7.

It's simple to create the package and give to the other team. Get them to install the agent, followed by VSE. Ensure that if they install the CMA agent before imaging that they correctly remove the GUID values from the registry to prevent issues.

• 4. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?
                SergeM

Get them to install the agent, followed by VSE. Ensure that if they install the CMA agent before imaging that they correctly remove the GUID values from the registry to prevent issues.

Thanks (again)

("Ensuring"... is the key word... considering 'they' are somewhere else and I can't apply LART when necessary.)

The GUID issue is not new, we've been doing this for the past 4 years, I just wish people would do what we tell them when we tell them to remove the GUID...

It's just untill now we'd only install the Agent and it would then install VSE once the PC boots the first time.  For some reason, people (users) don't like that, it takes too long (the first day) until the PC is 'usable'.  I know it won't change much since DAT files will have changed in the next 6 months and it will need to do an update anyway.

I've put the .reg in our install package and hope it will work out well.

Assuming we don't have a new server in the meantime.

Additional question : how can I list more than one ePO Server in the Agents' config (SiteList.xlm I suppose) ?  Ideally I'd like to put that info on the ePO servers so they send that to all the agents and use each other as back-up... (I'm not talking about DR or AH here, we don't have AH or DR yet)

S

Message was edited by: Serge M. on 13/08/10 15:36:03 CEST
                • 5. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?
                  SergeM

Hi (again)

OK, I have used MID 8.7 on my workstation to generate an install package for McAfee Agent + VSE with current policies.

I get a file named "ePOPackage.zip". When I look into it, I see various files including

• FramePkg_UPD.exe
                  • Setup.ini
                  • UnInst.ini
                  • SetupVSE.Exe
                  • UnInst.exe
                  • UnInstX64.exe
                  • vse870.msi

Now the user manual for MID says :

When setting up the installation of a new custom VirusScan Enterprise package, always use the Setup.exe and not
                  the .msi program to launch installation.

Where is the Setup.exe ?

I've been searching for hours and trying all imaginable variation... I can't get a working installation...

I'm beginning to question my sanity (or IQ) !

Serge

• 6. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?
                    tonyb99

they mean SetupVSE.Exe its just badly written ( hopes whoever wrote it isnt watching)

• 7. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?

SergeM wrote:

Additional question : how can I list more than one ePO Server in the Agents' config (SiteList.xlm I suppose) ?  Ideally I'd like to put that info on the ePO servers so they send that to all the agents and use each other as back-up... (I'm not talking about DR or AH here, we don't have AH or DR yet

This sort of info is preset in the CMA package and you really need to export a new one from EPO if you add in changes etc. Of course the first time they connect back to EPO they'll pick up any changes, but if you want them as soon as CMA is installed - you need to export the current one.

I'm not totally sure how EPO 4.5 handles multiple EPO servers etc, so won't comment further. Something for you to test, bearing my first point in mind.

• 8. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?

tonyb99 wrote:

they mean SetupVSE.Exe its just badly written ( hopes whoever wrote it isnt watching)

I'm sure they don't care

IIRC 8.5 had setup.exe, so it's just a carry-on from earlier documentation. In some ways, I think McAfee likes people pointing out these types of errors as they make the products and documenation better overall.

• 9. Re: MID 8.7 for VSE  vs. Vista & Win7 ?
                          SergeM

Hi,

Tonyb99 wrote: they mean SetupVSE.Exe its just badly written ( hopes whoever wrote it isnt watching)

Thanks I had tried it, it is the right file... I just didn't remember that MS likes to change things and that ...

You need to run it as an Administrator... Being an Admin doesn't work... you must right-click and "run as Admin..."

Mal09
                          This sort of info is preset in the CMA package and you really need to export a new one from EPO if you add in changes etc. Of course the first time they connect back to EPO they'll pick up any changes, but if you want them as soon as CMA is installed - you need to export the current one.

Actually, since we don't have an AD and don't do push-installs we've been using the MA Package (FramePkg.exe)for years...

What I had done was :

• download and install the MID on my workstation (WinXP SP3 ; runs MA 4.0 and VSE 8.7 with correct enging, DAT etc.)
                          • run MID on my WKS
                          • understand that MID doesn't (cleverly) take hints from what's installed on your PC
                          • download the VSE 8.7 install package (VSE870LMLRP3.Zip)
                          • prepare directories and everything so I know what I put where
                          • run MID on my WKS
                          • try to install the resulting package on a test PC... Windows 7
                          • (bang head on walls a few times, come here to see)

I then found out about the "run as admin" thing... (gosh, hate Win7 right now).

Results, the "works and doesn't work":

• MID gives you a package that includes a file "FramePkg_UPD.exe". I don't know why or what that is supposed to 'update' but for my purpose, it's useless !
                          • I had to replace the FramePkg_UPD.exe by our own FramePkg.exe (thanks Mal09)
                          • VSE version, engine & DAT that get installed are as they were in Feb. 2010 !!
                          • The installer (SetupVSE.Exe) doesn't work... as such !  You need to first install an Agent (FramePkg.exe) and then run SetupVSE.Exe (as an admin if on Win7).

I was unable to get an installation package that "just" mimics, copies the installation that is on my WKS.

I'm a bit disappointed at that as I was trying to produce an installation package that would be "up to date (today)". I expected MID to take the necessary information for VSE and especially for the MA from the client PC.  I also would expect that running SetupVSE.Exe should be enough to install the agent and VSE... after all, it has a FramePkg_UPD.exe in the same directory...

I hope this information may help someone else and save some walls a few bumps next time.

thanks for your help and hints.

Serge

1 2 Previous Next