4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 10:16 AM by talon146

Upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0, upgrade path questions.

Hi all,

I am upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0 and doing a hardware refresh at the same time for the database and enterprise manager (2 seperate FS1000 appliances). I have to be able to retain the data from the FS1000 database appliance (SQL2000). I have contacted platinum support but I am getting varying answers for this. At first we were told that all we had to do is backup the Faultline database, install SQL 2008 R2 on our new hardware (non appliance) and restore the database. Then we could install the application and all of our data would be on the new hardware with MVM 7.0.

In the lab of course it did not go so smooth. We were told we could use Server 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2. We restored the backup DB into SQL 2008 and proceeded with the MVM installation. We failed a check for "SQL RTM version" so we went back and installed SQL 2008 with SP1. We were then able to proceed through the installation. When we got to the end where the installer attempts to verify / create Faultline we were given an application error stating that the database could not be created. After talking to Platinum support a second time, we were informed that we cannot go straight from 6.5 to 7.0. In order to do this we need to restore the DB into SQL 2005 SP2 and patch up to FS 6.7, then again to FS 6.8.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, what I am looking for is a detailed upgrade path/instructions. Does such a document exist or can anyone on this forum provide instructions?

Appreciate any assistance.

• 1. Re: Upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0, upgrade path questions.
          jhaynes

Hi I'm Jeff Haynes from MVM Tier 3 Support. Have you been helped with this issue yet? If not please send me a PM with your contact information and SR number and I'll make sure we get you on the right path.

Jeff Haynes

• 2. Re: Upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0, upgrade path questions.

I recently went from 6.5 to 6.8 (will go to 7.0 in a few days), also had to upgrade SQL 2000 to 2005 SP2.  From reading the Release Notes I believe your problem is that 6.x does not support 2008 (SQL, maybe not even Windows either).  I can confirm for you that you don't need to go to 6.7 first; I successfully jumped straight to 6.8 from 6.5.  7.0 Install Guide even said that you could go straight from 6.5 but I heard from multiple techs that probably won't work.

You'll probably want to upgrade from SQL 2000 to 2005 SP2, then from 6.5 to 6.8, then to 7.0, then to SQL 2008 / Windows 2008.  As was suggested above I'd definitely recommend opening a ticket and talking to tech support first, that's what I did.  Read the Release Notes / Install Guide for each version too, that also helped for me.

• 3. Re: Upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0, upgrade path questions.

Thanks Glitch, your answer is spot on.

Also for anyone who may read this later on down the road, when you upgrade from version 6.5 to 6.7 or later. The way licensing works changes to one centralized component (API Server), as opposed to having to register every device. You will have to renew your license from the server runing the API Component immediately after upgrading, or your scan engines will have problems discovering hosts, etc.

• 4. Re: Upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0, upgrade path questions.

Thanks Talon, actually you reminded me about one mistake I did make:

When upgrading beyond 6.5 make sure that you check the box to install the API service when asked.  I misintrepreted this and assumed that the API Service was optional (the kind of API used to hook into 3rd party apps) and I didn't need it since it wasn't installed already, but this is a new service with 6.7/6.8 and is required in order for Foundstone to work.  Cost me an extra reboot and about 30 minutes of my time to figure that one out.