Please help -- now it's my turn to need urgent assistance:
My Dell PC running OEM MSC 2009 on Win7-Ult/64-bit -- totally rock stable -- got the new version updates today from McAfee.
SHORT version: Even after a total uninstall, MCPR.exe, fresh install from my account, when McAfee 2010 is installed on this platform, it prevents the computer from booting into anything other than safe mode. (No normal mode, no safe mode with networking).
When I uninstall and clean up McAfee and roll back to the system restore point created just prior to starting all this, the computer is completely normal.
Even after a complete uninstall, MCPR and clean install (that seemed to be updating, opening and working properly, including integration with Windows), the system will only boot into safe mode with McAfee installed. There have been no error messages during any part of this to suggest a problem. I have no other AV software installed (never did) and have nothing else "odd" in the way of programs.
Prior to install, I uninstalled MBAM and SAS and ran their cleanup tools.
The McAfee update installed on top of old version, and seemed to be fine right up to asking for restart.
Then the wheels fell off...
1) At reboot, after the Windows logo, the display went black & HDD shut down (no drive activity), even though power switch was on. Waited for several minutes -- no reboot.Nothing.
2) Tried to reboot into normal mode from the power switch -- same problem. Windows logo -> black screen, no boot.
3) Tried to boot into safe mode with networking and got BSOD, and then still wouldn't boot.
4) Did eventually succeed in rebooting into safe mode (no networking).
5) From safe mode, was able to open McAfee GUI, but it said "not protected" and wouldn't turn on protection.
6) Uninstalled McAfee from control panel and ran MCPR.exe and checked to make sure all McAfee files were gone.
7) Rebooted normally -- everything fine, with McAfee uninstalled. Computer completely normal. Network connections fine, all programs fine.
8) Went out to McAfee online account,downloaded and installed a fresh copy from my account.
9) Everything looked fine -- GUI opened fine, system protected (green check mark), checked for updates, normal desktop shortcut, normal system tray icon.
10) I thought it was OK. I had not yet even tried to reinstall MBAM or SAS. It was ONLY McAfee installed at this point.
11) Just to be safe, I tried a normal Windows shut down and cold start one last time.
12) EXACT SAME PROBLEM: SYSTEM WILL ONLY BOOT INTO SAFE MODE, not normal, not safe/with/networking.
13) Had to boot once again into safe mode, uninstall McAfee, run MCPR and reboot. Voila! System is back to fine again.
14) Have done several system shut downs to check, and computer is working fine.
(15) Have unplugged network cable to router for now, since I only have Windows firewall and Windows defender installed now. I do not want to waste time reinstalling MBAM or SAS, since they will only need to be uninstalled again before I reinstall a security suite.
Yes, the system is fully patched with all Windows updates and no, I have no other AV installed (never did), and I do not even have MBAM or SAS installed (uninstalled with their cleaners prior to updating today).
SO, TO SUM UP: SYSTEM WAS FINE WITH "2009" DELL MCAFEE. WITH "2010" SYSTEM CANNOT BOOT, EXCEPT INTO SAFE MODE. SYSTEM IS BACK TO WORKING FINE WITH MCAFEE "2010" UNINSTALLED and SYSTEM RESTORE BACK TO POINT CREATED AFTER UNINSTALLING MCAFEE THE FIRST TIME. TWICE.
Oh, and I was on the phone with fee-based, premium, N Am tech support at Dell for all this -- I have a contract, thankfully.
Agent was completely in agreement -- something about new McAfee version installed on this platform prevents computer from booting. Everything boots and works fine without it. Data are safe and programs work fine, but I will not go online until I can install a security suite.
Doubtful it will be McAfee, though, unless someone can provide a solution for this. Clearly, McAfee is screwing up something in the OS required for the computer to boot normally.
PLEASE, PLEASE, I am already >3 hours into this, with 2 uninstalls/reinstalls.
So, I cannot do online chat with Tier 1, since that is all they will suggest, and I don't have a week to struggle with this.
Can someone PLEASE get me to T2 or T3 (preferably a native English speaker) who actually understands and might be able to help?
Thank you so much,