Looks like some corruption may have occurred and can be remedied by uninstalling via Add/Remove programs and rebooting. This link will help you with the installationhttp://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507
Let us know how this works for you
Also what operating system and is this a dell supplied version?
I had the exact problem. The solution I found that worked is this:
- restart in safe mode with networking
- uninstall Mcafee using add/remove programs
- download Mcafee removal tool
- reboot in normal mode
- use removal tool(windows security centre will now go mad)
- uninstall any antimalware programs such as Malwarebytes
- reinstall Mcafee from the disk you purchased or download from your account page
- reinstall other antimalware program again
Don't worry your subscriptions will still stand.
Hope this helps
Thanks for all the input. I will likely try tonight. Last night I backed up photos and video with my network off and the system restored to an ealrier point.
This is a Dell machine with Vista, Sp2.
I need to fingure out if I have an account page as a backup. The sustem lists that i have a subscription through August 2011. But ultimately, i just want my computer back.