5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 10:15 AM by AdamJ

McAfee update freezes Win 7 on connect to net

OK, I know stuff happens, but.....

This morning I uploaded the new Security Center update and it ran just fine until I tried to connect to the internet. As soon as I did that, it froze the computer to the point that I had to reboot. After several reboots and the same thing happening, I did some investigating, once I rolled back the PC.

I noticed that aside from changing the way it looked, it did not migrate my settings, had "All Programs have access to the internet" set, and did not have any program permissions listed. After I did some research online, I tried d/ling it again...only to have the same results with no luck in trying to configure it. 

On an additional note, after rolling back the PC, my Security Center now only shows 2/3 of a window so I cannot access any settings. I also tried d/l ing and manually installing virus defs, and was greeted with the message of "No McAfee programs found", even though some of the Security Center is still running.

Among the many error messages were the following:

The  Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness  service which failed to start because of the following error:
      The dependency service or group failed to start.
      Event ID 7001

The  McAfee Network Agent service failed to start due to the following  error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a  timely fashion.
      Event ID 7000

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

AFD

DfsC

discache

mfehidk

mfenlfk

mfewfpk

MpFilter

NetBIOS

NetBT

nsiproxy

Psched

rdbss

spldr

Tcpip

tdx

Wanarpv6

WfpLwf

DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service mcmscsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:

OK...so what's going on...what the hell is this update doing to the system? Is anyone else having this problem after this mornings update?

• 1. Re: McAfee update freezes Win 7 on connect to net

Please Note that the error messages do not present themselves until after both times I applied the update.

Everything was working fine this morning (getting online, no problems) until after this update

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Dell PC

• 2. Re: McAfee update freezes Win 7 on connect to net
            Dinz

Hello threefive,

Can you post me with a screen shot of your security center interface .

Regards,
            Dinesh K
            McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 3. Re: McAfee update freezes Win 7 on connect to net

Though not the same as my (as yet unresolved) issue with being unable to boot my system with the new version installed, it does seem to point to a network driver issue? (Spoken as a totally non-technical home user...)

Having twice installed the new version, with complete uninstall/cleanup/reboot at all the usual points, the end result (at least the 2nd time, since the 1st time was an in-place upgrade) was a seemingly perfectly installed McAfee 2010 and a computer which could only boot into SAFE MODE.

Safe mode with networking -> BSOD and a "driver-IRQL-not-less-or-equal" error message before it and the stop code disappeared.

Normal mode boot -> just a BLACK SCREEN at a point after the Windows logo appears, but before the login screen.

TWICE.

Complete removal of the McAfee from the system restores the computer to completely normal booting and behavior. TWICE.

That is where I am now: computer is fine, so long as there is no McAfee 2010.

FWIW my OS, BIOS and drivers are all up to date on my system.

I wish someone from McAfee with high-level engineering expertise could review the event logs and other data on my system to try to determine what the problem is, in order to fix it.

I recall seeing a thread about this sort of issue at another security software forum a few months ago, and it related to the network drivers.

I do have an ominous feeling that, now that the Dell Partner McAfee updates are being pushed out, that the sluice gates might be about to open, as I cannot honestly believe there is something unique with my system to cause this problem.

Anyway, I'll go back to my thread now.  Didn't mean to confuse things...

MM

• 4. Re: McAfee update freezes Win 7 on connect to net

Yes we have struck the same issue.   I have had to force shutdown and run recovery to get machine working again.  Basically I am ignoring the "restart machine for changes to take affect" message until we can resolve.  We are on Windows 7 as well.

• 5. Re: McAfee update freezes Win 7 on connect to net

ok,  I think I have sorted out our machines issue of freezing.  If you have microsoft windows defender running also (we did and didn't realise this was conflicting with Mcafee).   Unistall it and then restart your machine.   The update then loaded correctly and it seems to have resolved our issue.  :-)