3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 12:19 PM by NYCPA

Shouldn't McAfee post a warning about Virtual Technician?

Shouldn't McAfee post a warning that Virtual Technician can be hazardous to your computer's security? Many of us have both home offices and small businesses. We have no way of knowing that Virtual Technician will destroy our installations of McAfee Total Protection security as a service - and that the service cannot be reinstalled properly.   

• 1. Re: Shouldn't McAfee post a warning about Virtual Technician?
          exbrit

It is designed to repair installations not destroy them so I have no idea why, in your case, you would be seeing that.   Unless you are using products not covered by MVT or a non-compatible system.

I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat for clarification.  (Useful Links above).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/08/10 12:27:18 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Shouldn't McAfee post a warning about Virtual Technician?

Good idea. The only problem is that it seems we need to use the Virtual Technician first, before we can get through to Technical Support Chat. Now that I have experienced the harmful effects first-hand, I most certainly will not use Virtual Technician again. I am posting the problem here in hopes of sparing others the same hard-learned lesson.

In my case, the damage was eventually repaired by a McAfee Support Technician. But it took almost an hour-long remote control session, and he had to delete all the McAfee entries in my registry to get Total Protection re-installed and working properly. You're right that there is a compatibility problem, and it's entirely within McAfee's own product lines. 

• 3. Re: Shouldn't McAfee post a warning about Virtual Technician?
              exbrit

Well I still doubt that MVT actually broke something...more likely it was broken already and MVT tipped it over the edge so to speak.

Without specifics it's difficult to tell you what might have happened but I assure you I haven't ever heard of MVT actually breaking something.