1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 10:04 AM by rackroyd

McAfee 32 bit or 64 bit ?

The McAfee command line scanner for Linux released in 2 formats, 32 bit and 64 bit. does this means 32 bit Mcafee need to be installed on 32 bit operating system and 64 bit mcafee need to be on 64 bit Linux OS?

This is what I ususally do without question until I mistakely installed the 32bit mcafee to 64 bit Linux once. I noticed it seems working fine when I tested with EICAR.COM testing virus.

The machine I'm running 32 bit mcafee has following information if I run uname command:

uname -a
      Linux adcdaa02 2.6.18-164.0.0.0.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 00:21:28 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm confused as I thought 32bit software should not work in 64 bit machine. please clariffy. thanks.

• 1. Re: McAfee 32 bit or 64 bit ?
          rackroyd

With the VirusScan Command Line Scanner it's more a matter of Library & kernel support than 32 vs 64-bit.

From the readme System Requirements:

-   Linux for Intel 32-bit distributions with
              libstdc++.so.5.0.5 or later installed

-   Linux for Intel 64-bit distributions shipping
              with version 2.6 production kernel, with
              libstdc++.so.6 installed.

It's conceivable in the right circumstances and with appropriate legacy library support you could use either.

if it's running you won't be losing out, 32 & 64-bit versions are functionally equivalent

Rgds,

Rob.