3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 5:27 PM by Peter M

McAfee security centre screen keeps randomly popping up.

I've tried online tech support - have given up. And, as for telephone support, frankly I refuse to pay £1 per minute when I have just paid in advance for a 2 year subscription. When it expires I will migrate to another company which gives telephone support at a reasonable rate. The online support was a joke.

In the meantime, I have a small but annoying problem. The McAfee security centre box keeps popping up on the main screen for no apparent reason. It does it very randomly - even while  a dvd is playing. I have run the virtual technician which says everything is working fine.  It does not seem to be caused by any virus as there is no security alert of any kind. It vanishes again after a couple of seconds. It's irritating, rather than a crisis. Probably the sort of simple thing which could be solved on the phone, but I absolutely refuse to pay those prices on principle, in fact if I cannot get this problem solved on here I will simply uninstal McAfee, cut my losses, and buy another product which has better tech support. Sorry to sound unreasonable - but I think sometimes you have to put your foot down and say enough is enough. Thanks in advance to anyone who can sort this out for me! My OS is windows 7.

• 1. Re: McAfee security centre screen keeps randomly popping up.
          Peter M

Is it warning you of anything, or literally just popping up?

Do you by any chance use a VPN connection and/or Cisco?   If so read this thread in particular post #13 onwards.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/94279

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/08/10 9:21:16 EDT AM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee security centre screen keeps randomly popping up.

Thank you kindly, ex_brit, for your prompt reply. It is appreciated. No, it does not give any kind of warning, it's just the screen that literaly pops up for a couple of seconds and then vanishes! As I said before, it's more annoying that critical. I am not aware that I am using a VPN, I access my work e-mails from my home PC, and sometimes shift large graphics files from my PC to an FTP site at work, does this count? But it has popped up when none of this is connected or happening... I've read the thread you mentioned, thank you - I can understand the frustration of the person involved!

Oh, one thing I ought to mention which may have some relevance. I am on cable internet, but recently have been experiencing very short outages - I lose my connection for about 5 seconds, then it comes back again. This happens fairly frequenty... The cable company are onto this.....though they don't yet have a solution. Would losing my internet connection for this short time suddenly make the splash screen pop up as some sort of alert? Once again thanks for your suggestions and help.

• 3. Re: McAfee security centre screen keeps randomly popping up.
              Peter M

It's possible the short outages would instigate it but my cable has gone out on occasion and all I get is a suddenly dead internet and no Sec. Center popup, so really not too sure.

I do know that virtual private networks (possibly involved in your picking up work email...?) cause it.

I've added it to the next call agenda...scheduled for next Monday afternoon 4pm EDT to see if it is still an issue.

If that's not it then all I can suggest is check for infection using external tools such as Eset Online and Microsoft Live Online and then if that doesn't help, try uninstalling, running the MCPR removal tool (linked under Useful Links above, reboot and reinstall online (not from any CD).

Running those extra scans wont harm and just might do the trick, you never know.

Another good anti-malware tool to keep around as long as it's kept updated in MalwareBytes Free.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/08/10 6:27:47 EDT PM
              1 of 1 people found this helpful