5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2010 5:46 AM by Peter M

RTS won't turn off.

Product: McAfee's AV Plus

Why doesn't McAfee's disable RTS when i click "Turn Off" in the MSC?

I know this is a topic that's 180 from the majority of the issues people are having here, but it's a problem that chat tech support has not given any fix for.  Yesterday i opened up my McAfee's security center and tried to disable my RTS.  This failed to happen since the executable i was trying to run (a cheat program for a game) failed to do so and was removed from my system.  I tried again, and the same thing happened.  I then tried to disable RTS, Scheduled Scanning AND Firewall.  Yet again my executable was diabled and erased.  I tried to attempt the "Remove from Quarentine / Trust Program" process but this failed to stop McAfee's from removing my program too.  I used to not have this problem.  Usually i would go into MSC, choose to disable RTS - Until i restart my computer and there would be no problem with me running my game trainer / executable.

• 1. Re: RTS won't turn off.
          Peter M

spinner76 wrote:

Product: McAfee's AV Plus

Why doesn't McAfee's disable RTS when i click "Turn Off" in the MSC?

I know this is a topic that's 180 from the majority of the issues people are having here, but it's a problem that chat tech support has not given any fix for.  Yesterday i opened up my McAfee's security center and tried to disable my RTS.  This failed to happen since the executable i was trying to run (a cheat program for a game) failed to do so and was removed from my system.  I tried again, and the same thing happened.  I then tried to disable RTS, Scheduled Scanning AND Firewall.  Yet again my executable was diabled and erased.  I tried to attempt the "Remove from Quarentine / Trust Program" process but this failed to stop McAfee's from removing my program too.  I used to not have this problem.  Usually i would go into MSC, choose to disable RTS - Until i restart my computer and there would be no problem with me running my game trainer / executable.

Ar you signed in as a user with Admin privileges when you try?   It works fine on mine.  Also exactly how are you trying to turn it off?

The way to do it is as follows:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Protection

Click the Turn Off button and tell it for how long to stay that way.

• 2. Re: RTS won't turn off.

Ex_Brit - thanks for the attempt.  I realized after i logged out from posting thati forgot to post system specs for my computer.  I'm a Win XP SP3 user so admin / log in has never been part of my PC troubles.  But for the sake of curiosity, yes i'm the admin.

There have been no formats/uninstall/reinstalls of Windows or McAfee's or the game since the time between i've been able to do this (aprox <3 months ago).

I've followed the same set of proceedures that you've listed.  I usually right click on the tray applications in the lower righthand corner of my screen in order to open up the security center and choose which options to enable or disable.  In the past when i had no problems i usually choose 60 min or reboot since god mode games can take a while   Friday i had tried both.  Neither one helped.

More over, i've read throught the forums how McAfee's has made it impossible to truely add or subtract programs/files from the trusted program portion of McAfee's.  Yet another detail that detracts from solving the problem i bet.

Thanks for your post though!  Hope the force is with you lol

• 3. Re: RTS won't turn off.
              Peter M

Then go back to Technical Support Chat and ask them to escalate it to a higher level.  Something must be blocking McAfee from working properly.

You mention God Mode, that caused all kinds of problems, not just with McAfee, on my machine if I recall so stopped using it.

But the God Mode I'm talking about is a system super control rather than a gaming one so maybe that's not it.

• 4. Re: RTS won't turn off.

Brit - the God Mode i'm refering to is just a referance to PC Game Trainers.  From Wikipedia:

Game trainers are a special type of memory editor, in which the program  comes with predefined functions to modify the run time memory of a specific computer game.[8] When distributed, trainers often have a single + and a number appended  to their title, representing the number of modifications the trainer has  available.[8]

I've also included what portion of the chat with Chat Support i wa able to save.  Yet another item the McAfee's needs to improve - ensuring the supported person has an entire copy of the chat rather than just the convo UP TO when the "save chat to log" is pressed.  The level of Customer Service fell through the floor after I presented a problem that they had no idea how to fix and quickly closed the session out on me after that.  My options from chat support are to send the file to AVERT (no thanks) or to uninstall.  There was no indication of any possibility to escalate the issue to some one with more training.

Is there some maner of "secret password" to get them to escalate the issue?  When i called Customer service, they asked me about 4 times to pay for phone based tech support.

Other posts concerning this issue:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/142260#142260

post numbers 75 & 76

• 5. Re: RTS won't turn off.
                  Peter M

Is this program being detected as "Artemisxxxxxxxx" by any chance where xxxx is a serial number?   Or is it being identified as another type of infection?

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items.

It should be identified in there.  If not, look in History and Logs.

If it is then there are people here who can look into it for you.

What's mystifying me is why you can't turn protection off, which would normally be because you are trying to do it in an XP 'limited account' as distinct from one with Administrative privileges.

It appears that something else is preventing that from happening.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/08/10 6:02:11 EDT PM