5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 9:54 AM by rackroyd

Why does McAfee command line scanner always display version info?

I was using McAfee command line scanner V5.x. when I use command ./uvscan <file-name>. it does not print out version information.

Upgraded to McAfee command line scanner V6.x, version information always print out. the problem of this is that it take time (about 14 sec.) to display version informaiton.

I thought version information suppose to be displayed only when user specify --version option with the uvscan command (according to document). and this is true to V5.x

Is this a known issue for V6.x?

The version information I referred is something like this:

AV Engine version: 5400.1158 for Linux32.

Dat set version: 5978 created May 10 2010

Scanning for 617554 viruses, trojans and variants.

Thanks

on 29/07/10 12:19:14 CDT
        • 1. Re: Why does McAfee command line scanner always display version info?

It's not the displaying of version which takes 14 seconds, it's uncompressing the dat file in this time. you can speed up starting by running uvscan --decompress after you update the dat files.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68023

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does McAfee command line scanner always display version info?
            rackroyd

Mal09 is correct, it's the dat initialisation time not the version display.

Maybe it's OT and I haven't tried this in the 6.x version, but I guess you can still redirect everything for the scan to dev/null if you don't want to see what is on-screen .

It'll make no difference to scan times though !

Rgds,

Rob.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why does McAfee command line scanner always display version info?

Thanks all.

Yes, --decompress does help. the time spend on uvscan dropped from 14s. to 3.8 sec.

However, it takes only 1.2 sec. if I use V5.x. following are some tests:

-- Test with McAfee V6.0:

time ./uvscan --noexpire readme.txt
              McAfee VirusScan Command Line for Linux32 Version: 6.0.0.309
              Copyright (C) 2009 McAfee, Inc.
              (408) 988-3832 LICENSED COPY - April 30 2010

Dat set version: 5985 created May 17 2010
              Scanning for 619012 viruses, trojans and variants

Time: 00:00.00

3.868u 0.301s 0:06.03 68.9%     0+0k 0+0io 18pf+0w

-- Test with McAfee V5.3

time ./uvscan --noexpire readme.txt
              1.220u 0.083s 0:01.33 97.7%     0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

I monitorred the out put and it seems most of time spend before print out following lines in above V6.0 output:

Dat set version: 5985 created May 17 2010
              Scanning for 619012 viruses, trojans and variants.

Therefore, I thought these version information took 2.657 sec. (3.868-1.211) for V6.0  as those information does NOT print with V5.3 engine.

but I hava no way to tell how much time spend without print version info. with V6.0 as printing version info. is not optional any more.

P.S. readme.txt in above it the file shipped with McAfee which is a very small file.

Thanks

Message was edited by: johzha on 30/07/10 09:21:15 CDT
              • 4. Re: Why does McAfee command line scanner always display version info?
                rackroyd

Thanks,

Please believe me, this really is about dat initialisation time and not the presentation of an on-screen summary. What you see is the effect and not the cause

For comparison, launch a local on-demand scan task with VirusScan 8.7i on a Windows machine. You will see a similar delay between the first appearance of the scan dialog and the scan actually starting. This is the same dat initialisation time. It is cross-product and cross-platform because the dats are too.

Hth,

Rob

• 5. Re: Why does McAfee command line scanner always display version info?

OK I see. so, sounds like it actually cause by V2 DAT vs. V1 DAT

I was thinking it could be as simple as disable printing version information to gain performance.

Thanks Rob for clarification and looking forward McAfee improve V2 DAT initialisation performance.