1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 8:39 AM by JoeBidgood

EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN

trebor79

I have a problem with encrypyed machines appearing as duplicates in EPO4.5, when encrypyed with EEPC 6.

This is what we have so far:

• ·         The duplicates only appear to be created when a machine connects via the VPN after first being installed via LAN.
      • ·         I have already disabled MAC address checking (using logic I thought this was the issue as the machine was using two different NICs – one wired one wireless)
      • ·         We have ascertained that the duplicates in ePO have different agentguid (even though there is only one in the registry – the latest one)
      • ·         If an agent install is ‘pushed’ from the server it creates a new agentguid (but if connected via the wired lan at the time no duplication is created – just  updates the GUID)

An Any guidance would be appreciated (reposted from EEPC forum)

• 1. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN
          JoeBidgood

If you disable MAC address checking and the machine's GUID changes, for whatever reason, you'll get a duplicate... I'd re-enable that before anything else.

That said, the environment you're describing would still give you duplicates - if the GUID changes and the machine makes its next connection via VPN, ePO is going to think it's a new machine and create a new entry for it. (New GUID plus new MAC address = new machine.) The key here is the changing GUID - that shouldn't be happening: once an agent is installed it will only create a new guid if the old one is removed (either by the registry value being removed, or the agent being completely uninstalled and reinstalled.)

Is there anything you can think of in your environment that would be doing either of these things? Login script to recreate the GUID, for example, or to install the agent with the /forceinstall switch?

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN
            Takla_G

What if the laptop is using a docking station, wouldn't that change the MAC address as well ?

• 3. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN
              JoeBidgood

Yes, so the same rules would apply - changing the guid and putting the machine in a docking station will give you a duplicate entry.

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN

Hi all

Getting very much the same issue here

We have laptops encrypted witn McAfee and everything works just find when connected via Cat 5 or wireless but connect via VPN and within minuites we see a duplicate entry for the machine in EPO.

We have MAC address checking switched off as well so thats not the issue.

Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN
                  JoeBidgood

We have MAC address checking switched off as well so thats not the issue.

Can you expand on this? Do you mean you have the DisableMACsearch registry value set to 1?

Thanks -

Joe

• 6. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN

Sorry: no not that

Within EPO there is an option on how it recognises machines, By Mac, host name, FQDN or combination, cant exactly recall where it is as i'm not in the office at mo.

I have set it to just use host name, all systems on the network have unique hostnames so that 'should' work and I had thought that having it use MAC would cause issues with VPN and wireless connections.

What we see is that laptops, which are encrypted, can connect via wired connection or wireless without any issue but once they hook up via VPN - we are using a cisco VPN concentrator and client software, we see a duplicate machine appear in EPO within minuites.

Causing all sorts of issues as the new 'duplicate' machine doesnt have any users assigned to it in EPO so the user cant get past the encryption prompt next time he/she reboots.

Message was edited by: Geascian on 10/08/10 10:09:59 CDT
                    • 7. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN
                      JoeBidgood

Geascian wrote:

Sorry: no not that

Within EPO there is an option on how it recognises machines, By Mac, host name, FQDN or combination, cant exactly recall where it is as i'm not in the office at mo.

I have set it to just use host name, all systems on the network have unique hostnames so that 'should' work and I had thought that having it use MAC would cause issues with VPN and wireless connections.

Ah, OK.That sounds like RSD that you're describing - as such I don't think it has any bearing on this situation, as we're talking about machines that have agents on already (presumably )

What we see is that laptops, which are encrypted, can connect via wired connection or wireless without any issue but once they hook up via VPN - we are using a cisco VPN concentrator and client software, we see a duplicate machine appear in EPO within minuites.

Causing all sorts of issues as the new 'duplicate' machine doesnt have any users assigned to it in EPO so the user cant get past the encryption prompt next time he/she reboots.

Have you got a case open with us at the moment for this? Can you let me have the case number?  What you're describing really doesn't make any sense... the only way this should be possible is if the client machine's GUID had changed as well, which should not be happening.

Thanks -

Joe

• 8. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN

Yes the client laptops are built, have the agent installed and encrypted while connected to the wired lan.

Things work just fine while the laptop is connected via wired lane or wireless but almost as soon as they connect via VPN we get the duplicate.

One check we did on a laptop showed that at about the time the duplicate appeared on epos the client had done an update including a super datbupdate which seemed to require a client restart.

Not 100% sure if we have a case open as such as we get initial support via the reseller who should raise the call if required. I will check once I'm back in the office

Again from memory, and I will again check, the agent does indeed get a new guid, almost as if the system thinks its a new system  Also we have opened up the firewall between the epo server and the VPN to allow any to any traffic both ways.

Message was edited by: Geascian on 8/10/10 11:51:04 AM CDT
                        • 9. Re: EPO / EEPC 6 duplicate machines when connecting on VPN

Just had a couple of more occurances, and asked the third party for the McAfeee log number for this on.

I have attached a screen shot of the report we get that shows the duplicate machine entries, and as you can see the agent GUID is indeed getting changed.

Its only happening with encrypted laptops and when they connect via VPN.

All very strange

Message was edited by: Geascian on 11/08/10 03:24:46 CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next