5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 12:59 PM by Dinz

Windows Seven Homegroup Blocking

Hi,

I am running Windows Seven with McAfee Security Center 2010 installed.

I am trying to set up a Homegroup, and finding that I am unable to detect the other computer on the network (even though it can detect my machine, and access files in the normal way).

Has anybody else had experience with this problem? Windows Homegroup troubleshooter suggests that McAfee may be blocking it. Does anybody know how to configure McAfee to allow the Homegroup to function properly?

Many thanks,

Joe

• 1. Re: Windows Seven Homegroup Blocking
          Dinz

Hello JoeSchmoe,

May I know what is the operating system of the other computer ?
          Do we have McAfee products installed in that computer even (with same versions) ?
          Also , how is the computer connected to internet ,( dsl/cable/wireless)

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Windows Seven Homegroup Blocking

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your response.

The other computer is also running Windows Seven, and the two are connected via a wireless network.

There are no McAfee products installed on the other computer. It is running Norton Internet Security.

Thanks,

Joe

• 3. Re: Windows Seven Homegroup Blocking
              Dinz

Joe,

Typically, a homegroup is created automatically when you set up your computer with this version of Windows, but there are several things that could prevent you from creating one:

·         A homegroup already exists on the network. If a homegroup already exists, you will be asked to join it.

·         Homegroup is available in all editions of Windows 7. In Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, you can join a homegroup, but you can’t create one.

For more information, please refer this link : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-create-a-homegroup

Regards,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: Windows Seven Homegroup Blocking

Dinesh,

Both computers are running Windows Seven Home Premium. I already followed the steps outlined in your reply above, and in the link provided, and established a new homegroup. When I ran the troubleshooter for the homegroup, it suggested that McAfee may be the problem.

Have there been any instances of McAfee causing a problem with Homegroups?

Joe

Message was edited by: JoeSchmoe on 29/07/10 13:39:30 CDT
                • 5. Re: Windows Seven Homegroup Blocking
                  Dinz

Hello Joe,

That is something new we have heard about Win 7 homegroup just to  clarify on this have you tried the same without McAfee (mcAfee uninstalled)
                  If its yes, please get in touch with our chat technicians
                  here , they will be able to access your computer remotely and diagnose the issue.

Regards,
                  Dinesh K