1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 6:05 AM by exbrit

Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Does anyone else find their Security Centre isn't working following today's update (July 28) from McAfee?

Today's update from McAfee seems to have disabled the McAfee Security Center on my laptop. Right clicking the M-shield in the system tray doesn't offer me any links. If I launch McAfee Antivirus Plus from the start menu all I see is a white square where the splash screen should be. Nothing else happens although other PC programs will run normally. I can only close Antivirus Plus by using right click [Close] in the windows bar or by using task manager.

Everything else on the machine seems to be running fine but I've no idea  whether the anti-virus is working.

Machine is Dell Inspiron 510m running Windows XP Home OS with usual common software.

Neil.

• 1. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update
          Dinz

Hi Neil,

Please let us know the following information,
          What is the version of Internet explorer (Open Internet explorer – Click Help – Click About)
          Also run Mcafee virtual technician from here
          http://mvt.mcafee.com  and post me your session id along your next post.

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Hi there,

I've run the Virtual Technician - nothing abnormal reported (see below).

Using IE version 8.0.6001.18702 (although I prefer Chrome ;-)

regards,

Neil.

Latest Virtual Technician ID:26804670
            Session log follows:
            MVT Information
            MVT Version : 5.5.2.0
            System Information
            Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Build 2600)
            Service Pack : Service Pack 3.0
            Language : 0809
            Internet Explorer Version : 8.0
            Internet Explorer Language : en-us
            System Drive Type : NTFS
            Physical Memory Available : 599696
            Physical Memory Total : 1308888
            Virtual Memory Available : 2055200
            Virtual Memory Total : 2097024
            System Architecture : x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
            Date Time : 07/28/2010 16:53:27
            Time Zone : GMT -00:00
            Product Details
            Product Name : SiteAdvisor
            Product Version : 2.9.242
            Language : en-gb
            Partner : Dell
            Health Check Details
            Registry OK
            File OK
            Process OK
            Service OK
            COM OK
            Top Issues OK
            SYSTEM OK

• 3. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update
              Dinz

Hi,

Please get to control panel and let me know if you find McAfee security center there and let me know the size for it .

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Control Panel > Security says

"Virus Protection          NOT FOUND"

regards,

Neil.

• 5. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Sorry, forgot the size. McAfee Virus Protection size listed as 15.47MB

regards,

Neil.

• 6. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

I've been having the same problem since the updater prompted me to restart my computer(7/25).  I even tried to uninstall so that I could reinstall a fresh copy, but when I tried to the same blank white box appeared.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium

And when I tried to run Virtual Technician over the weekend I believe it said it couldn't detect Mcafee.  I tried running it again today and was told it couldn't scan my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

(Security Center size is listed as 215MB,  I use Firefox)

• 7. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Hmm, the problem is worse than I thought. The antivirus is definitely disabled. Right clicking on a file or a folder then clicking [scan...] does absolutely nothing. I can't find a way of uninstalling McAfee to do a re-installation either. When I click on [change/remove] in Control Panel > Add Remove Software > McAfee Antivirus Plus I get a white blank splash screen! Another dead end.

I wish there was some way of going back to the configuration I had 2 days ago.

Any ideas anyone?

(correction to previous post: McAfee size is 232MB. Windows was lying).

regards,

Neil.

• 8. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Have had the same problem from 8.30 am following update and restart. Internet security suite deactivated.

I have tried reactivating, uninstalling and reinstalling ( following Mcafee recommended proceedure ) 5 times; ran virtual technician 3 times all with no problems found.

Last ditch attempt was to purchase an extra licence ( £5 - thought it would be cheaper than phone call ), still does not work.

I have sent Tech Support an e-mail and will post their reply; if it solves the problem.

Hope it is just a temporary glitch as previous XP glitch the other week.

• 9. Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update
                          k3tg

You may want to consider contacting Technical Support Chat found under Useful Links at the top of this page under Technical Support. I see in your post you have already run McAfee Virtual Technician but it may expedite getting your issue resolved faster by contacting Chat. When you contact them they will assign a session id number and you should post it her on the forum for reference and they have the ability to remote connect into your computer provided you give them permission to do so to see if they can identify the cause of your issue. If necessary your service request can be escalated so the posting of the id number is important. I encourage you to do this as an email response may take some time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          1 2 Previous Next