3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 3:26 PM by Dinz

Mcafee keeps disabling itself

This has happened once before too, both happened right after doing a system restore (to the last restore point, in which time, I did NOT download or change mcafee), but real time scanning gets disabled, and when I re enable it, it immediately gets diabled once more, I have tried doing a full scan to check for viruses to see if viruses are the issue but it says "An Error Has Occured" "An unexpected problem has occured during your scan," likely due to the face that real time scanning is diabled... I had the issue before, after I did a system restore, worried that I had a virus, and the same issue happened. Is there a reason for this? Did I receive the same virus again, or does mcafee screw up after system restores? What should I do?

• 1. Re: Mcafee keeps disabling itself

More information:I currently have Windows XP, service pack 2.

• 2. Re: Mcafee keeps disabling itself
            Peter M

Moved provisionally to SecurityCenter 10 - 2010.

If you are still worried that you may have some kind of malware onboard get the FREE version of THIS software and update it before running (important).  Let it remove everything it finds and reboot if asked to to complete the scan.

System Restore can often cause problems with applications that are time sensitive such as VirusScan.

Try the following:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

*******Meanwhile, and this is very important.  It is vital that you install SP3 in order to continue to be supported by Microsoft for security patches.  They stopped supporting SP2 and under on July 13.

Check out THIS document for more information, and THIS thread for help.   SP3 is not auch a painful install as SP2 was.

There have been numerous updates since SP3 so keep updating with all critical and non-critical updates via Microsoft Update (as against Windows Update) as it will update everything.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/07/10 8:15:49 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Mcafee keeps disabling itself
              Dinz

Hi HoLy,

Real time scanning could get disabled if the system has one or more virus scanners running in the background even, Check and delete if you find anyremnants of your old software in the following location ;

• C:\program files\common files
              • C:\Documents & settings\all users\application data.

Also check if the computer is uptodate with windows upodates

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator