Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
5234 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 7:22 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
Oropendola4 Newcomer 1 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2010 7:24 AM

Virus disables Firewall, but scan and stinger find nothing

Running XP with SP2, neither the full scan nor the stinger reports any hits.  However, while running in "safe mode with network", McAfee shows red because "Realtime scanning is off".  If I click to turn Realtime Scanning on, it stays on for a second or two, with McAfee showing green, but then Realtime Scanning reverts to off (and McAfee to red).  Before running the scan, I also observed that the firewall was off, with the same symptom: namely that if I clicked with the mouse to turn it on, it turned off again within a second or so.

The user is not sure which of the following URLs was browsed, either  (removed for security reasons) which is now returning a "403 Forbidden" when I try to retrieve it with).  Whichever one it was instructed her to load a file called ff-update.exe from a location which she does not recall.  As soon as she tried to install the ff-update.exe, McAfee popped up an error, and we shut down the machine, and rebooted it in safe mode to try to clean the machine.

I'm assuming that the clean scan means that the problem is too new to have a signature yet.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/07/10 8:24:03 EDT AM

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points