7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 3:33 AM by JoeBidgood

two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them

i am puzzled by a issue.

i have installed epo4.5, now i plan to manage two linux hosts via epo. hostA and hostB with redhat linux OS.
      1.install MFErt.i686.rpm and MFEcma.i686.rpm in hostA and hostB;
      2.several minutes later……
      3.EPO can find hostA and hostB, but only one system was listed in system tree of EPO. the strange thing is : hostA was listed for several minutes, and then hostB was listed for several minutes. at the same time only one of them can be displayed.

why occur this?

• 1. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

Do these machines maybe have the same MAC address? Are they part of a load-balanced cluster, for example?

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them

first,thanks for your help

hostA and hostB are belong to different application, so they are not part of  a load-balanced cluster. I also check that  MAC address is different. is there any  other factor that can get this issue?

• 3. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them
              JoeBidgood

That's strange - the symptoms you describe are an exact match for machines with the same mac address

Are these machines connecting via a VPN or anything like that?

If you wait for Node A to communicate with the server, then go into its properties in ePO and make a note of the mac address, and also the agent GUID.. Then wait for Node B to appear, and check the mac address and GUID again - are they different? (I am trying to find if the mac address that ePO sees is the same, or if the guids are duplicated.)

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them

I check MAC and GUID in epo, the result like this:

NodeA:  ip-*.*.247.111    mac-000000000000     GUID-6AB1c333***

NodeB:  ip-*.*.128.12      mac-000000000000     GUID-2AD33C21***

different GUID but same MAC address,  I note the result of ifconfig command, please see the affix

note: there is another machine which ip is 247.112,  111 and 112 are part of one HA cluster.

thank you.

• 5. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them
                  JoeBidgood

Okay, interesting

Looks like the agent is picking up the mac address from the vibr0 interface, which is the interface provided by Xen Virtualisation in redhat / centos. This appears to be an "illegal" mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00.  Because both machines are reporting the same mac address, ePO is overwriting the entries.

In the short term - do you need virtualisation on these machines? If not you can remove it, which should remove the vibr0 interface, and the agent should report the correct mac address...

In the long term, I would be grateful if you could open a support case for this so that we can enter a defect and ensure that it is fixed properly.

Thanks -

Regards,

Joe

• 6. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them

hi, Joe

We  have been warranted to install Linuxshield software, so it is possible to open a support case via the vendor.

thanks,

when this defect is fixed, could i get the message in time from you? my email is : rambler_cn@sina.com.cn

• 7. Re: two hosts, but epo4.5 only list one of them
                      JoeBidgood

shirambler wrote:

hi, Joe

We  have been warranted to install Linuxshield software, so it is possible to open a support case via the vendor.

thanks,

when this defect is fixed, could i get the message in time from you? my email is : rambler_cn@sina.com.cn

If you open a support case with us, you'll be notified when the defect is fixed by whoever is handling your case. Unfortunately I can't guarantee that I would be able to notify you as I may not be tracking the defect

However, once you have opened the case, post the case number here and I will try and keep an eye on it.

Regards -

Joe