2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 2:30 PM by Peter M

antispymv.com

My PC was infected today by ‘antispymv’, which hijacked the browser and most other applications. I checked this out using my laptop and found that it is widespread.

What concerns me is that I ran McAfee system scan (which was just about the only thing that would work) and it reported that there was no problem and my PC was not infected.

I managed to get some info on the subject using my laptop, but was unable to download the removal tool to the PC because I could not access the internet on it.

In the end I managed to use System Restore before antispymv kicked-in by rebooting the system.

Has anyone else experienced this, or able to give any advice on the subject?

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: antispymv.com
          Peter M

pcspike wrote:

My PC was infected today by ‘antispymv’, which hijacked the browser and most other applications. I checked this out using my laptop and found that it is widespread.

What concerns me is that I ran McAfee system scan (which was just about the only thing that would work) and it reported that there was no problem and my PC was not infected.

I managed to get some info on the subject using my laptop, but was unable to download the removal tool to the PC because I could not access the internet on it.

In the end I managed to use System Restore before antispymv kicked-in by rebooting the system.

Has anyone else experienced this, or able to give any advice on the subject?

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

No antivirus in the World is going to provide immunity forom everything out there so it's wise to carry some anti-malware software in addition just in case and always keep your system totally up to date.

See this page for help with that:  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/1996

If you used System Restore please right-click your taskbar McAfee icon and select updates as it will now be out of date.

Also I suggest temporarily disabling System Restore to completely rid yourself of it.

Always surf carefully and be careful what you download and click on and always keep your system totally up to date at all times with both critical and non-critical updates.

• 2. Re: antispymv.com
            Peter M

Further investigation reveals that it is a dangerous website and loads a fake anti-malware application which has a good removal guide here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivir-solution-pro scroll down the page, do NOT click the first links you see as they are adverts.