7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 10:38 AM by Aldrin

antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer

I have antivirus plus 2010 and it seems that somehow one of the files got fractured/corrupted. I uninstalled it and then ran the mcafee removal tool. When I reinstalled it, it installed everything except for the site advisor. How can I load just the site advisor? Also-I made sure I updated everything. Here is the info: DAT 6053, engine 5400.1158 as of 7/24/10. What I noticed though is that I have the old style M shield on the computer. When I had the program before, about 5 months ago, there was a huge update...it had gotten rid of the security center and changed the Mcafee shield on the computer. Why do I have the old style? Is this ok? I also saw on the cd I installed it from that there was Adobe Acrobat to install but I already have Adobe Acrobat reader 6.0. Do I need to install it? I guess that seems like alot of questions. Please help.

• 1. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer
          exbrit

S.H. wrote:

I have antivirus plus 2010 and it seems that somehow one of the files got fractured/corrupted. I uninstalled it and then ran the mcafee removal tool. When I reinstalled it, it installed everything except for the site advisor. How can I load just the site advisor? Also-I made sure I updated everything. Here is the info: DAT 6053, engine 5400.1158 as of 7/24/10. What I noticed though is that I have the old style M shield on the computer. When I had the program before, about 5 months ago, there was a huge update...it had gotten rid of the security center and changed the Mcafee shield on the computer. Why do I have the old style? Is this ok? I also saw on the cd I installed it from that there was Adobe Acrobat to install but I already have Adobe Acrobat reader 6.0. Do I need to install it? I guess that seems like alot of questions. Please help.

You should have used your online account to install the latest version, however, it will eventually update itself, so it's up to you if you want to repeat the process.   To install just Siteadvisor you can do that from http://www.siteadvisor.com if you wish.

No you don't need to install Adobe Reader if it is already installed.  be clear though - Acrobat and reader are two different products.   The Reader is the simple version of Acrobat designed only for reading .pdf files.  See Adobe website for more information.  I think version 6 is rather old so I recommend uninstalling it and going to their website for the latest version.

• 2. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer

I'm on dialup so I always install it from the cd. It was downloading and updating for over 6 hours. How will I know if I have the current version? I used the same email address so the account came up and told me I was paid through November of this year.

• 3. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer
              exbrit

You'll see a bigger than usual update come in which may ask for a restart to complete and, after that restart, if your taskbar icon becomes shield-shaped, than you've been upgraded.

If you had that previously it should happen fairly soon I would imagine.

• 4. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer

It already asked to restart but it didn't change. Do I need to uninstall it again and redo it all over?

• 5. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer
                  exbrit

Well not if it's going to take hours and hours to complete.  It will happen eventually.  That's isn't the only reason it asks for a restart, other kinds of updates do that sometimes.

If you don't mind doing it then the best method is to uninstall, using the MCPR removal tool (See Useful Links above), reboot and reinstall from the online account.

• 6. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer

I am on Windows XP , have McAfee Antivirus Plus 2010 installed for some months , and was recently hit by Trojan-psw-vbs.half .  My computer speed extremely slow , same pop-up ( Warning Virus Detected , subcribe etc etc ), and my McAfee desktop icon has in one location ( lower right hand side of desktop ) disappeared , and my other McAfee icon will not launch McAfee anymore ( double click and nothing happens ).  I have tried to re-install same McAfee using same CD ( only a few months old ) ,  but will not run.

This Trojan seems to have disabled my McAfee .  What should i do ??

Many thanks,

B

• 7. Re: antivirus plus 2010 reinstalling/mcafee shield on computer

That would happen if your computer is badly infected. Please click on the Useful Links on the top of the this page and contact our Technical Support team who shall assist you on this...