8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 5:33 PM by exbrit

5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...

This could happen to you!

So thanks to McAfee's inability to catch this Keystroke Virus that infected our network all 4 computers and that all 4 computers had to be completely erased and started completely over by installing all our programs because the 6 months of backup's could not be trusted due to the possible length of our infection that McAfee's Total Protection program never found for almost 8 months of scanning, checking, updating and hoping our data in information was secure... or at least mostly secure.

Due to the severe nature of this failure we had to close and re-open 3 merchant bank accounts, 5 reg. bank accounts, 6 company credit cards, close and re-open 68 vendor accounts and passwords not to mention re-associating our credit card payments with 23 of our vendors, re-input 6 months of client accounting data and filing our 2009 taxes late because of the virus infection just before our tax time!

Lets not forget the loss of business emails, client information started but not completed and the loss of revenue because if this delay to start over and any projects not started that were lost in this process. And lets not forget all the email accounts that all passwords had to be changed and re-installed on our servers and our network computers. I could go on, but I think you'll get the point by now!

Although we never lost more than $100 at any one time during this hell, we certainly lost over $10,000.00 in man hours and lost revenue cleaning us this holocaust up.

If I sound a litter bitter, YA, go figure why!

Thanks McAfee for a job in the toilet.

Robert

• 1. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...

I've been using McAfee for some years and the truth is i noticed it does sometime miss malware .. or if you are infected with something that is detected in some cases damage is still done to your machine, but that's not really as bad as not detecting the threat ! i don't know what to say i guess they have more important business related activities then improving the software or detection methods , i saw a thread today,wher McAfee missed a virus that was detected by the windows malicious software removal tool [ http://community.mcafee.com/message/141200#141200 ] .. i mean if it dosn't detect malware thats detected by the W.m.s.r.t ..you be the judge, we will see when they will release a 2011 beta maybe they will improve or add new methods of detection, artemis and signatures (at least not how they work now) aren't enough for today's malware.

I can't understand another thing if site advisor detects and marks a download as bad why dosn't mcafee antivirus always detect that piece of malware ? , i used virustotal.com to verify files downloaded from red sites that the antivirus didn't see as malware , what if the file from that site was broth to the pc lets say on a cd , or instant message , email, p2p ?

Rdavis you can use KeyScrambler to protect your pcs from keyloggers, download it and see more info about it at: http://www.qfxsoftware.com/,

McAfee don't let us down ! protect us from all this web2.0 threats that are more and more common and easy to get on your pc, after all we pay for it

Message was edited by: DoZe on 7/25/10 10:17:12 PM CDT
          • 2. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...

I can't wait to see the 2011 beta either , if it's ability to stop malware is like the 2010 version at least it will be worth the laugh , don't think the infected people will laugh when they see the software they pay for is useless and cant provide them protection. 

• 3. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...
              exbrit

No antivirus on the market will catch everything out there, no matter what brand you pick.  That isn't an opinion but fact, you just have to read any of the major anti-malware forums, blogs, reviews etc.   One has to be careful, keep ones system totally up to date and carry some up-to-date extra anti-spyware tools for use in such emergencies.

Keep an updated version of THIS software handy for use in such instances - free version is just fine.

Actually, considering people are constantly complaining that McAfee removed their keylogger software they use to monitor their kids, I am surprised that this one escaped.

Also, if you find that McAfee is not detecting something it should, submit it to WebImmune if possible.

Any dispute over loss of money/business doesn't belong here.  Consult with Customer Service via Useful Links at the top of this page.   Actually if this is a business you would be better suited using business-oriented software rather than the home products, "Total Protection Service" for example or other Enterprise products.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/07/10 9:57:48 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...
                exbrit

Mayne wrote:

I can't wait to see the 2011 beta either , if it's ability to stop malware is like the 2010 version at least it will be worth the laugh , don't think the infected people will laugh when they see the software they pay for is useless and cant provide them protection. 

Actually McAfee Security software is pretty highly rated by totally independent sites, so that statement isn't true.  The 2011 product should be up on the beta servers in about a month or so.

http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/07/10 9:11:24 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...

Where are this High ratings your talking about Ex_Brit ? , i can't find any site that rates McAfee's detections or prevention good , i see people pick on it cause it doesn't have any detection abilities other then the signatures and Artemis, that perform like they do, Bad.

Here are some links wher you can see McAfee in action , you decide, I am sure a lot of you are able to test it on their own : 1 . 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 and the links can go on.

I also tested McAfee to see how well it protects and the results where laughable at best, so i stick by my statement , McAfee is not a good antivirus , it's not enough for todays malware and this are facts , i am a user of Total Protection with another half year of subscription left , thats the only reason why i keep using it.

McAfee didnt even have time to take the "Beta" stamp out of the 4.5 Total Protection beta, even this current release has a lot of buggs and errors that arn't solved yet. and i allready hear 2011 beta will be up in a month or so ,i think they will put much effort into it ,a bit of sharpness to the existant user interface , a brand new shiny package and of course thers nothing better then some nice comercials that explain how well the user is protected and how McAfee is no.1 in malware detection 

It ain't about wher the company's from and what they did in the past , wher they at now ? McAfee lost my respect about 2 years ago, and i am not the only one, a lof of people complain on this forums about McAfee missing malware, you probably know that anyway Ex_Brit since you are a active user here, i am sorry guys i don't want to add a black and rainy cloud over the companies name but you'r products are incompetent and can't handle todays malware.

• 6. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...
                    exbrit

Well I'm not arguing and I'm not paid by McAfee to sway anyone one way or the other or for anything else for that matter.

Google search and pick ones that are independent and not tied to one particular brand...

http://www.cnet.com/topic-reviews/antivirus.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/124475/top_antivirus_software.html

http://download.cnet.com/windows/security-software/most-popular/3101-2023_4-0.ht ml?tag=mncol

If McAfee lost your respect 2 years ago why are we even talking about it here?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/07/10 6:31:36 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...

The cnet.com links you provided show nothing i am afraid mate since the review includes only the ease of use , features , support and it gives the products a rating based on thoes , they don't test the products ability to stop malware.

The suites from the second link are from 2006,a bit old i'd say.

Tho i lost my respect for McAfee my computer is still protected by it for another half of year till my subscription expires, so i am still a user, a unhappy one, what did i pay for after all ? i don't like seeing software that i pay for being out-performed by free products and i think i am not the only one.

Notice that in the Cnet video review of McAfee ,the reviewer points out that McAfee didnt add any new detection method/technology in the 2010 product , just a new interface ..that i like, i cant complain about it, but i rather have protection then just a thing that looks nice and eats up my ram and cpu , don't you agree ?

Message was edited by: Mayne on 7/27/10 5:19:15 PM CDT
                      • 8. Re: 5 months later ( after McAfee missed a keystroke virus for months) we're just getting done re-building our companies life...
                        exbrit

I agree, but I can also tell you that they are fully aware of the shortcomings of the product.  We MODs don't let them forget it.  They are working on it constantly or so they tell us.