1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 3:34 PM by Peter M

"Scan failed to start; result=- 2147467259"

ryanwalker

I recently discovered a problem with my McAfee Virus protection, Every time i log into my Windows XP account my internet is disabled and when i open McAfee it says i am not protected, if i try to press "Fix" then it tells me it cannot be fixed. When i try to run a virus scan to see the problem it says "Scan failed to start; restult=- 2147467259" i have run other virus scans on Antivir, and Malwarebytes neither have found any virus or detection on my computer. I have looked at other threads and tried to follow the instructions but because i have no internet i cannot reinstall McAfee onto my computer even with a thumbdrive.

on 25/07/10 4:27:04 EDT PM
        • 1. Re: "Scan failed to start; result=- 2147467259"
          Peter M

XP SP3 I hope?  If not please read HERE and HERE.   To use McAfee products you must have an internet connection as they poll constantly for updates.

The only solved thread I can find on this subject was cured by doing the following:

First enable Windows Firewall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
          2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
          3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files"  but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application  Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You  have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools  > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even  if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more  than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your  account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you have.

Windows Firewall should have been automatically turned off during this procedure.