1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 10:45 AM by k3tg

Error message: "One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error"

I got this message when I clicked the "Fix" button after installation of my McAfee Security Product. When I opened McAfee for the first time following the completion of the installation process, across the top of the box it said (& still says): "Am I protected? No. Part of your protection must be fixed. Click Fix now." So, I clicked "Fix" and get the error message: "One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error". How helpful! 

So, I tried to use MVT to help with this issue. I download the file, open once the download completes, and the Installation Wizard pops up. I click "Next" on the very first page and immediately get an error message titled "Fatal Error" and reads: "Installation ended prematurely because of an error". Again, this is not helpful as it offers no clues about what the actual problem is. So, the next thing I can think of to try is to just go back to McAfee and scan my computer for an infection, because something is ovbiously causing an issue here. I click "Scan" and all that happens is it seems to "refresh" the McAfee box I am looking at prior to clicking "Scan". Nothing happens, no "scan" takes place. I am just looking at the same screen as I was before and looking at "Am I protected? No. ..."

I am not sure what to do from here. I am not going to pay someone to remove a virus/infection that I don't even know whether I even have or not. Which reminds me, I also went to the McAfee page that offers a "Free Scan" at the bottom (the same page I was looking at that shows the different amounts that may be charged for certain removal services) and the "Free Scan" did not work either. All I got was a blank, white screen when the new box popped up. So, yeah, anyways back to what I was saying...I am no going to pay someone to remove something unless I know something even needs to be removed. Secondly, my computer is still under warranty so instead of mess with all of this garbage and even think about paying someone to remove stuff, I can just go get a brand NEW computer. Before doing so, I'd like to give it an honest shot, though.

I will not hesitate to admit that I am already frustrated with this as I have had to spend around 3 hours of my time on this already and, trust me, I have better things to be doing...unfortunately, my work solely depends on this computer so I need things to be functioning properly.

• 1. Re: Error message: "One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error"
          k3tg

Hi siennasmomma,

Reading your post leads me to believe that the installation may be corrupted. So for starters I think we should try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Next step is to run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MCPR will remove any remaing traces of McAfee that fail to remove from the normal Add/Remove uninstall and make sure to reboot again and then log in to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Let us know how this works for you and good luck.