6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 3:41 AM by anil.mag

Issues with updating

Hi all,

I am facing problem with McAfee updates since last one month. There have been numerous calls from the technical service department, but the issue is not resolved YET. Can somebody suggest a way to lodge a complaint with mcafee?

Thanks,

Anil

• 1. Re: Issues with updating
          Dinz

Hi Anil,

Sorry for you frustration, please let us know your issue so that we could help you with our best here.

Also let us know if we receive any update errors along with the following information;

What is the operating system of the computer?
          What is the type of internet connection?
          Did we have any virus infections in the computer?

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Issues with updating

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for the reply. The following are the details you have asked for. I am using Window Vista Home premium O/S. When I click on check for updates, the security centre shows the activity "Checking for updates" for several minutes and then gives the message that your updates have been installed!!! But in reality the DAT version never gets updated. I am using a dial up connection (Tata Indicom mobile broadband). The updates were fine previously.

Tech service agents called me about 4-5 times and they tried to resolve the issue remotely and made me uninstall/reinstall security centre 3 times, still the issue is not resolved. They never tried to understand what I say and just seemed to follow their usual steps without worrying about the issue!!

If it is of any use, the request number they provided me is 484570-530606065.

Though I am not very hopeful by now, there is no harm in trying..

Thanks in advance,

Anil

• 3. Re: Issues with updating
              Dinz

Hi Anil,

Sorry that you had a bitter experience with tech support, let me try my best to help you indiagnosing this.

Hi anil,

May I know whether the computer was infected with any malware previously.
              Also perform a window update either from control panel/open Internet explorer, click tools-click windows update and check if they complete without any errors.

Click start – under search type-Run and hit enter
              In the run tab type drivers and press OK
              Among the files search for a file etc.

Open the file – Host (Open with notepad)

In Host check if the last line says 127.0.0.1 ,
              Any information below this can be erased and save the notepad

Kindly report back with the above information.

Thanks,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: Issues with updating

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not notice any malware infection on my computer. At least Mcafee did not alert me of any such threat.

I have checked windows update and there are no errors, how ever there were no new updates as last windows update was performed on 19-07-2010. Next I have opened the "hosts" file in etc folder. I am pasting the contents of the file below. I do not see the line 127.0.0.1 instead I see download.mcafee.com as the last line. This file was recently modified by your service agent when he tried to resolve the issue remotely.

The contents of the file hosts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server

#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

#64.71.248.152          download.mcafee.com

#64.208.176.57 

#     download.mcafee.com

download.mcafee.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
                Looking forward for a solution to this issue soon, so that i can renew my mcafee subscription!
                Thanks again,
                Anil

• 5. Re: Issues with updating
                  Dinz

Hi Anil,

Your host file contains as much as additional entries, Remove all lines referencing McAfee websites

For eg; 64.71.248.152          download.mcafee.com

#     download.mcafee.com

download.mcafee.com

Click File.
                  Click Save.
                  Close Notepad and try to update your McAfee product again.

Try to update mcAfee , if still the update fails , please get in touch with chat from this link and our technicians will hep you in replacing the corrupted host file to a new one. Send me your service request no through a private message (click on my avatar and use the option send private message) if in case you need more assistance and I shall take it from there.

Thanks,

Regards,
                  Dinesh K

• 6. Re: Issues with updating

Hi Dinesh,

Its rather too late a reply to check these things! My Mcafee license had expired on 1st August and I had no option but to uninstall the security centre . Now I can not do anything that you have suggested. I am planning to move to Norton, which provides update through proxy server also.

Thanks for trying to help.

Anil

Message was edited by: anil.mag on 8/13/10 1:41:37 PM GMT+05:00