9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 2:59 AM by Peacekeeper

Security Centre will not open

McAfee looks like it has completely stopped working, when I click on the Security Centre icon, a blank page opens up & that's it. I no longer get any updates/information about if my computer is protected or not.

I ran the MVT & it said that my DAT was not up to date - so I then asked it to fix it, but that didn't work. When I looked at the details it said the DAT update was 'pending' but also something about the language not being correct or something.

I am using chrome & everything on my computer is up to date.

PLEASE can someone suggest something to help!!! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Security Centre will not open
          k3tg

I think you may have some corruption in the McAfee program files. Try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Go to Useful links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool. MCPR will remove any remaining files that Add/Remove fail to completely remove and reboot again. Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Good Luck and let us know how this works for you

• 2. Re: Security Centre will not open

Hi K3tg,

Thanks for your advice, but McAfee won't even open when I try to uninstall it using the add/remove programme. It just comes up as a white box. I tried accessing the removal tool too, but the link wouldn't open! I've attached a screen shot of what happens when i try to open McAfee Security Centre - this same thing happens with the add/remove programme.

It's not going very well...any other ideas?!

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Security Centre will not open
              k3tg

That is very strange that you cannot even get to add/remove programs. Have you ever had any security software installed before? Has your computer ever been infected with a virus? Are we up to date with Microsoft updates? From your screenshot, it looks as though you have a XP operating system. If so is it SP3?

See if you can run the McAfee Virtual Technician. MVT will scan your computer for McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix them for you. It generates a report number that you should post on the forum and at the conclusion it will prompt you to contact Technical Support Chat which can remote connect into your computer to see what might be causing you to have issues. http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Good Luck

on 7/22/10 6:33:50 PM EDT
              • 4. Re: Security Centre will not open
                Peacekeeper

Link here it opens for me

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

If it does not maybe you have malware stopping you accessing Mcafee sites.

Try the link If it fails I will email you the file if you want. We mods have that access but usually will only do it if you agree.

• 5. Re: Security Centre will not open
                  Dinz

Hi,

Could you please confirm if the issue is fixed , if so please let us know so that we could proceed further in getting this fixed for you .

Regards,
                  Dinesh K
                  McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 6. Re: Security Centre will not open

Hello,

I'm having the same problem now.  When I try to open McAfee it tells me:

McAfee Security Center has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I ran a Malware sweep and found three files dedicated to stopping security center:

Rogue.Antivirus Suite.Gen

Disabled. SecurityCenter

Disabled. SecurityCenter

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the product according to directions found on a related McAfee community post.  I also ran the preinstaller before I reinstalled.  Please Advise.

• 7. Re: Security Centre will not open
                      k3tg

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

Does any of the suggestions work in the link I posted for you?

• 8. Re: Security Centre will not open

I had the same problem on my computer. Lucky for me, I have 3 computers with McAfee on them.  What I had to do is use 1 computer to access the other computer.  I went through windows explorer to access the other computer because the McAfee network tools could not find the computer.  I scanned the other computer and found 2 exploit viruses.  I rebooted the computer, tried to access McAfee and it would not run and would not uninstall, like the above post.  I went to the McAfee support page and got the removal tool and uninstalled it with that.  Logged on to the homepage and download the software again and now it works on the other computer.  It's doing a full scan as I speak.  This is the first time I ever had a problem with viruses using Mcafee and I've used it for over 10 years.  I blame the problem on my wife not letting the software do a complete scan on a regular basis.  Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

• 9. Re: Security Centre will not open
                          Peacekeeper

Also follow up with a scan or two from the below list.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 16/02/12 6:59:17 PM