5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 2:31 PM by JWL

Windows 7: McAfee 2010 (3 user): SuperAntiSpyware: SpywareBlaster

JWL

I have a new machine which I have been working on for about a month ... perhaps I shouldn't have one at all!

Windows7 Professional

McAfee 2010: All options enabled

SuperAntiSpyware pre release version 4.41.1000

SpywareBlaster v4.3

I had problems scanning using the previous version of SAS

finally was advised from their forum to install the pre release version (as above) which I did yesterday

it appears to be working correctly now

though am a little concerned about the automatic updates

so am updating manually to make sure I don't loose out.

SpywareBlaster is notifying me when it checks for updates.

I finally re-installed McAfee, this morning, due to the unavailability of setting automatic scans (it recently stopped running automatic scans)

... have taken note of similar concerns in the forum

I have also been concerned about the automatic updates and always doing a manual update, again to make sure I don't loose out.

... have taken note of similar concerns in the forum

I have run scans with both McAfee and SAS - not concurrently

in normal mode, and

in safe mode

- neither have reported any items at all in normal mode or safe mode.

Taking all these considerations into account along with the fact that I haven't noticed any other strange activities

- am I just having the same problems as everyone else or could it possibly be due to some nasty interferring with my "protections"?

A very broad question I know, but all opinions would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Windows 7: McAfee 2010 (3 user): SuperAntiSpyware: SpywareBlaster
          Peter M

SuperAntiSpyware is not supported in beta format which is what you have, McAfee has a policy of not supporting issues with any beta software.  The current version is 4.40.1002 and it would have to be the free version with no active protection turned on as that may interefere with McAfee.  As you mention autoupdates I suspect it's the retail version that you have.

I use SpywareBlaster with autoupdates and real time protection turned on with no issues that I know of.

Instead of SAS why don't you keep an updated version of free Malwarebytes installed for emergencies?  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php or at least turn off any active protection you have in SAS?

The so-called Smart features of McAfee 2010 are being revamped, we hope, as the 10 + 10 minute delay-if-any-CPU-usage-detected rule isn't working properly from what everyone says with both autoupdates and autoscans.  So that matter is in hand.  Date of resolution is unknown at this time.

I'm not too sure exactly what your problems are as you don't spell them out so am having to read between the lines so to speak.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows 7: McAfee 2010 (3 user): SuperAntiSpyware: SpywareBlaster
            JWL

Before reading other people's observations re McAfee 2010's current "hiccups" I was concerned that perhaps viruses or such like could be creating the problems I was having.

- not being able to set automatic scans

- having to reinstall McAfee

- not receiving automatic updates

I expect I am looking for reassurance from more experienced people that I am not being lax and sitting in a "false sense of security" and I should be looking further into the matter.

The SAS version I am running is the retail version

- I was running 4.40.1002 with which I had a problem on this new machine (not being able to complete a scan in normal mode)

- I was advised to "update" to the pre release v4.41.1000 by a more experienced member of the SAS forum

- I am no longer having the problems I was having with this new version.

Now I am in a quandry ... between SAS and your suggestion of malwarebytes ...

Your comment that " McAfee has a policy of not supporting issues with any beta software" has gone over my head rather ... sorry

Does this mean the two programmes interfere with each other?

I read, and have acted, on the suggestion that one should not browse etc. using the administrator account.

Is it possible to have SAS running with one account and malwarebytes running with the other account?  ... that would be one way of sorting out my above mentioned quandry if it worked!

Your time and advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Windows 7: McAfee 2010 (3 user): SuperAntiSpyware: SpywareBlaster
              Peter M

Just don't have active protection turned on on SAS and I see no reason why everything can't run on the one account.   They all have to be installed using an Admin level account anyway.

By "not supporting beta" I was including any pre-release versions - in case there are problems McAfee would deny all responsibility.

The problems with scans and updates is no doubt this flawed "Smart" system that was intro'd with the 2010 software so I wouldn't worry.

That policy of not using an Admin-level account is good but if you aren't in the habit of surfing dangerously or downlading anything without checking first what then it really doesn't matter so much.

Just to be sure about malware I would run the free version of Malwarebytes in any case.  Make sure you update it first.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/07/10 2:34:34 EDT PM
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Windows 7: McAfee 2010 (3 user): SuperAntiSpyware: SpywareBlaster
                JWL

Thank you so much.

Much appreciated.