3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 5:40 PM by fasterthanjesus

EPO 4.5 + Virus Scan 8.7 + McAfee Agent, what else?

Hi

I have installed and am happily running the above (390 servers+workstations - xp/2003/2008/7 coming soon).

I am now trying to persuade my IT manager that we need to use more McAfee, as it seems sensible to have all security under one shop.

What else do people recommend/run what is from the McAfee suite?

Groupshield is an option for us, but the previous IT guys had problems getting it to work.

All suggestions/comments welcome!

• 1. Re: EPO 4.5 + Virus Scan 8.7 + McAfee Agent, what else?

You are at present running McAfee's legendary applications.They are the most basic and works well.

When it comes to new products, most of them are bought over and product management is bit dull. I would recommend you going for single agent/management solution. But please test all the products if you don't want to end up in my situation. Check OS and application compatibility especially and read the entire documentation because there are 'notes' in few of the product documentation (not in the 'read me') that may derail your implementation plan. Gold support is only good for the updates and product revisions. Check your McAfee partner's credibility. Let's hope and pray that McAfee doesn't dump you after the sale. meanwhile, I would suggest the following products:

Host IPS - mature product featurewise, requires additional coding or corrections to increase efficiency on newer os and applications.

Host Data Loss Prevention (effectiveness depends on your requirements) and excellent alternative would be http://www.cyberoam.com/dataprotection.html. Host DLP's power lies in its ability to control leakage based on content of the file. not only extensions or names.

SiteAdvisor

EEPC

SolidCore

Vulnerability Manager (careful if you have lots of DMZs. too many ports to open)

Remediation Manager (use with Vulnerability Manager)

Policy Auditor

I would stay away from:

Web Gateway - ISA with GFI web monitor is a much better and cheaper solution. considering also the maintenance cost

EEFF

Encrypted USB

I would recommend using multivendors products. let's say McAfee in desktops and other vendor products in server. or separate vendors based on perimeter, extranet and intranet.

All the opinions above are personal and based on my 'experience' with the products.

regards,

1ndian

on 21/7/10 2:00:11 PM GST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EPO 4.5 + Virus Scan 8.7 + McAfee Agent, what else?
            rackroyd

If you don't mind the sales blurb, you can look through:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/medium/products/index.html

This gives links to descriptions of a fair number of the available McAfee product offerings.

If you want to see what you are already entitled to then they should be visible as downloads with your grant Id.

Hth.

Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: EPO 4.5 + Virus Scan 8.7 + McAfee Agent, what else?

Cheers for the replies.

I have Site Advisor now installed and piloted on 8 machines.

I am doing a presentation at the next meeting, I can 'show and tell' and see what gives...

Cheers again.