4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 8:31 AM by jdhupp

Uninstall/reinstall McAfee temporarily fixes file associations with DDE

jdhupp

More than a month ago we started having problems on one computer: 1) clicking on a hyperlink in Outlook Express resulted in the link opening in the browser after a long delay or never, 2) clicking on a DOC file in Explorer resulted in Word opening after a long delay and the document never opening in Word, 3) Inserting a USB flash drive resulted in the contents opening for view in Explorer after a long delay.

Everything else on the computer seemed fine.

It also seems to be a software problem, since (at least the first time I checked) everything worked fine in Safe Mode.

I understood all of these problems to be related to the mechanisms of file associations using DDE.  Though not all file associations were broken.  I forget which ones worked (XLS, PDF, WAV?), but some of them did.

When the problem first appeared more than a month ago, I fixed the problem by uninstalling McAfee, running the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) utility, then reinstalling McAfee.

When the problems recurred late week, I did the same, then tested that the problems had gone away.  But here now, after just a day or so of normal behavior, it's all back.

Anyone know what's going on?