1 2 3 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2012 4:37 PM by orosales RSS

Approved VPN Clients

bperez

Im confused about what VPN Client must be used, to make a Client to Gateway VPN. Since McAfee does not have a VPN Client and in datasheets of MFE does not have any comments about the need to make another purchase of 3rd Party VPN Clients. Like a Sales People and Tech Engineer, i am worried and confused, about that. I think McAfee must support or aquire a Good VPN Client to Make a Good solution of VPN Concentrator.

If somebody know or work with a known good vpn client please let me know.

Regards

Bernardo

• 1. Re: Approved VPN Clients
          oreeh

The Shrewsoft VPN client works (http://www.shrew.net/download) as does the Safenet Softremote client.

• 2. Re: Approved VPN Clients
            sliedl

Bernardo,

Just like oreeh said, ShrewSoft and SoftRemote work.  Here are some KB articles:

We have a few knowledgebase articles about VPN clients and the Sidewinder:

KB64156 - Support for VPN clients

KB64323 - How to create a VPN using the GreenBow client

KB67215 - How to create a VPN using the ShrewSoft client

KB64219 - How to create a VPN using the SoftRemote client

• 3. Re: Approved VPN Clients
              bperez

Shrewsoft is free right?, if that VPN works fine and is free thats great!

• 4. Re: Approved VPN Clients
                oreeh

> Shrewsoft is free right?

Right!

• 5. Re: Approved VPN Clients
                  PhilM

The Shrewsoft KB article doesn't seem to exist.

I've tried searching for:-

• Shrewsoft
                  • KB67215
                  • KB 67215

The other articles all seem to be present and correct.

• 6. Re: Approved VPN Clients
                    mtuma

It looks like KB67215 is available only to registered users. Have you tried to login first?

• 7. Re: Approved VPN Clients
                      PhilM

You're absolutely correct. I've logged in and now I can find it.

• 8. Re: Approved VPN Clients
                        bperez

I have errors creating a vpn sesion with shrew Soft Vpn client, i have been created like the KB says and i have the following error:

error shrew soft.png

The log of MFE Audits is attached, also the snaphots of the configuration, any idea?

• 9. Re: Approved VPN Clients
                          sliedl

Bernardo,

What version of the ShrewSoft client are you using?  This is very important.

I see these messages in your audit:

(These messages mean the Sidewinder is waiting for a reply but is not receiving it)

2010-07-20 09:29:06 -0500 f_isakmp_daemon a_vpn t_info p_minor
                          pid: 1815 logid: 0 cmd: 'ikmpd' hostname: Firewall.microton.mx
                          vpn_name: Bernardo cky_i: 9cef314417bb4857 cky_r: 4b32f928d2f9f482
                          msg_id: e7b116bb local_gw: 172.17.11.3 remote_gw: 200.52.207.184
                          information: Message timed out for XAUTH negotiation in state: REPLY_WAIT... retransmitting

2010-07-20 09:28:21 -0500 f_isakmp_daemon a_vpn t_info p_minor
                          pid: 1815 logid: 0 cmd: 'ikmpd' hostname: Firewall.microton.mx
                          vpn_name: Bernardo cky_i: 0b9439a8017cea20 cky_r: c76988e1ba3834e7
                          local_gw: 172.17.11.3 remote_gw: 200.52.207.184
                          remote_id: CN=Bernardo,O=Microton,L=GDL,ST=JAL,C=MX
                          information: [detailed info]
                            [info]
                              AGGRESSIVE_MODE exchange terminated - Extended authentication failed
                            [info]
                              XAUTH exchange terminated - XAUTH negotiation timed out (retransmission threshold reached)

This may be caused by the version of ShrewSoft you are using.  If you are using the correct version, you will have to troubleshoot on the ShrewSoft side why it is not transmitting this XAUTH packet.

1 2 3 Previous Next