4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 9:21 AM by Dinz

My DAT files won't update?

'LizBeth

Hi,

I'm running McAfee Antivirus Plus, w/McAfee Virus Scan 14.5.113, DAT version 6039 (should be 6041) on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  The last time I was on the pc I ran a complete scan, there were no problems.  No one has been on the pc since, and updates worked fine.  I logged on late last night; McAfee won't update.  I ran MVT, it confirmed my DAT file is out of date, says it's fixing it, but upon re-scan, still the same problem.  I deleted MVT, thinking maybe it was the problem.  Shut down pc.  Started up pc again, re-installed MVT, ran it, same problem.  DAT files won't update using MVT or Security Center (Version 10.5.178).

What do I do next?

Suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

'LizBeth

• 1. Re: My DAT files won't update?

'LizBeth wrote:

Hi,

I'm running McAfee Antivirus Plus, w/McAfee Virus Scan 14.5.113, DAT version 6039 (should be 6041) on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  The last time I was on the pc I ran a complete scan, there were no problems.  No one has been on the pc since, and updates worked fine.  I logged on late last night; McAfee won't update.  I ran MVT, it confirmed my DAT file is out of date, says it's fixing it, but upon re-scan, still the same problem.  I deleted MVT, thinking maybe it was the problem.  Shut down pc.  Started up pc again, re-installed MVT, ran it, same problem.  DAT files won't update using MVT or Security Center (Version 10.5.178).

What do I do next?

Suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

'LizBeth

I am using security center 10.5.194 after being updated to this version 2 days ago. MVT tells me I am having one problem and says it is fixing my dat file. but when it says it is fixed I click on results and it says languge is not supported for Virusscan and online backup. Plus when I right click on McAfee total protection icon down in task bar by the clock it saya view update progress. Nothing is going around in the icon but when I click on view update progress it then finishes and says I am up to date but am still at 6040 dat. Plus under results in MVT version 5.5.2.0 it also says Pending: dat out of date after it states above that it fixed the problem with the dat update. It is really screwy again this morning.

Jerry

• 2. Re: My DAT files won't update?
            'LizBeth

Thank you for your replies BigJ and kiwi4life.

I may have found the answer to my question, but I won't know until I try it.  I just realized that Ad-aware's latest version (8.3) includes an anti-virus program, and know it's not wise to run 2 av programs @ the same time, so before I uninstall/reinstall Mcafee, I'll take the easier route:  uninstall Ad-Aware's latest version 1st, and then see if McAfee works okay.  I'll keep you posted . . .

'LizBeth

• 3. Re: My DAT files won't update?
              'LizBeth

Ad-Aware version 8.3 seems to have been the problem.  Once removing it, the DAT files are now updating again!    I also ran MVT, just to be sure, and everything checked out ok.

Problem solved!

Message was edited by: 'LizBeth on 7/13/10 10:43:47 PM EDT
              • 4. Re: My DAT files won't update?
                Dinz

Hello Liz,
                Glad that you are OK now Having multiple antivirus software on a computer is conflict rather than security. I would recommend running a single antivirus program on a computer. Please do start a new thread if you face any more issues, we are glad to help you.

Regards,
                Dinesh K
                McAfee Online Community Moderator