Newsleecher 4.0 beta 20 (http://www.newsleecher.com/?id=download)
Description of the problem:
The software was working before June 28 2010.
Newsleecher is not opening when McAfee Real-Time scaning(mcshield.exe) is running. Mcshield.exe spike 100% on thread/CPU and stay like this until you shutdown the RT scaning. When you disabale the RTS, newsleecher open. If you try to right click on the icon or the shortcut, mcshield.exe spike again at 100% and explorer.exe freezes until the RT scanning is disable. This is on Total Protection 10.
So I tried it on another computer which have Total Protection 9, in this case mcshield.exe crash when trying to process the file or see the properties.
Finally, I tried it VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i at work, it does the same as Total Protection 10, but at least I can bypass it via the ignore list which I can't on the consumer side.
Steps taken to resolve the issue:
A support ticket is open with sutherlandglobal.com(McAfee Tier 2) since July 4th and the issue is going no where. IMHO this company is providing sub-par support on behalf of McAfee.
So since July 3th, here is short summary of the back and forth with this sutherlandglobal.
- First day: Told them that i get same behavior on three McAfee product. Check the software, ask me to open it he is unable to open it, d'oh! Look around and then ask me a convenient time to call back.
- Second day: They're unable to reach me as they put a 1 in front of my phone number. Ex: 1 (122) 255-5555 #5. Asked me a convenient time to call back via email.
- Third day: Next day, got call, did exactly same as on the first, even asking me to open the software as he is unable to open it. Opened all firewall rules then tried to open the nntp port for incoming connection to Newsleecher even do it is not a server but a client. Look around again and then ask me a convenient time to call back.
- Fourth day: Start to do exactly the same as the previous 2 days!!! Then declare(Taken the chat log): "I am sorry to say you that your computer is infected badly.", even do I told him I tried it on three different systems with the same result and the fact that Total Protection is saying 0 infected files on the weekly scan. I proposed him to look at the second system which he does and see the mcshield.exe crash. He then tried the file on http://www.virustotal.com/. Then he tell me they will try it on their demo system. Asked me a convenient time to call back.
- Fifth day: Got a call. They asked me if I was still having trouble!!! But of course, it is still not working. Asked me a convenient time to call back.
- Sixth day: Got a call outside the agreed time
- Seventh day: Got a call outside the agreed time (which is a time where they can have access to the computer). Asked me a convenient time to call back via email.
- Ninth day: Got email again with the wrong phone number exactly as the first and outside the agreed time. Asked me a convenient time to call back via email which I gave them again.
- Tenth day(Today): Got email again with the wrong phone number exactly as the first and outside the agreed time. Asked me a convenient time to call back via email which I gave them again.
Also, I've tried the MCPR.exe with no success. Did a clean install of Windows 7 under VM then installed Total Protection but newsleecher was not autorized to work. If you disbale RTS, open Newsleecher and then re-enable RTS, mcshield.exe will try to close the internet connection made by Newsleecher.
So now I'm also trying the forum in the hope it will help. So any idea?
As I am seriously thinking about a refund for the 2 years remaining on my subscription.
Message was edited by: abeloin (Corrected dates) on 7/12/10 10:45:35 PM CDT