Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
20601 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2011 5:00 AM by Ex_Brit RSS 1 2 Previous Next
mrbigshot Newcomer 2 posts since
Jul 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2010 10:51 AM

Trojan detected but not removed???

Hi,

Hope someone can help me here. I was surfing the net when I got a message from McAfee stating that I had a Trojan and needed to restart my computer so it can be checked out. I restarted, ran 2 different full scans, and McAfee found no issues. However, when I check the scan report, it says "Trojans: 1" under items detected. I do not see anything in McAfee to suggest the Trojan was taken care of, so I don't know whether it was deleted or whether it is still there. Hell, I don't even know where it is located because it doesn't show me a history.

Any suggestions on what to do/where to go? My computer seems to working fine, but if there is a Trojan I want it removed. Any help would be appreciated.

• anandd McAfee SME 41 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    2. Jul 12, 2010 3:56 PM (in response to mrbigshot)
    Re: Trojan detected but not removed???

Hi,

the first thing you can do is to update to the latest DAT 6040 (at this point of time) and then run a full scan again.

if you find that files getting detected, check the scan report/logs. it generally should show the path where it found the file.

then you can go to that specific path eg: C:\Windows\system32\... and see if the file is deleted.

the second option in case, the scan report doesnt show you the path of the file but only mentions the file name which was detected, you could search for that file name in your system.

if the file is deleted, well and fine.

if the file is not deleted and is present, you could delete the file manually and then again run a full scan. this time the scan should not detect the file.

please let me know if this resolves the issue.

regards,

Anand

• NCmariposa Newcomer 11 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    3. Jul 14, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to anandd)

I am having the same exact problem as the original post here. I tried to download the Dat 6040 but it takes me directly to the download of dat 6042.  When I attempted to install this DAT it came up saying that it didn't detect McAfee on my system.  But I DO have McAfee triple protection.  My security report shows Trojans: 2.  It had Trojans: 1 on it, NOW it says Trojans:2.  But I can't find the name of the file it's in. or the name of the Trojan virus. NOTHING that takes me anyplace to know what to do.  I have the Total Protection 2009.  My subscrition doesn't expire for another 96 days. I paid 79.95 for this total protection and don't feel comfortable with it. Went to the Online chat of McAfee and a gal send me to this website.  It's not giving me any answers. And I am unable to download the dat 6042.  Please help me. I also downloaded the Stinger.exe here in this site the Mcafee chat tech gave me but it found nothing wrong. How can I clean up the Trojans:2???? Please help.  The older versions of McAfee a box would come up telling the name of the virus, and if it's deleted or cleaned or quarantined.  This new McAfee tells nothing but that it detected 2 trojans. That McAfee chat person advised me to go to this website and to clean the virus myself. HOW do I do that?

thank you

Nance

• screennamesaredumb Newcomer 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2010
    4. Dec 22, 2010 12:00 AM (in response to anandd)

There are a few problems in your response.  First, you tell the user to go to look at the reports/logs, but don't tell him/her how to get there.  That's the major flaw in the way the application is designed - one really has to be curious and click everywhere tostumble across the Navigation -> Threats Detected area.  Even there, I have no idea if that's how McAfee intended for users to determine what those ominous Trojans detected were, since it's frankly impossible for anyone to sift through hundreds of "threat" cookies to find a real threat of a virus.  I understand why McAfee would want to make it look like it's finding all these terrible problems on users' computers, but come on, cookies are hardly big threats.  You need to implement an easy way to filter on important vs unimportant threats.

Unless I'm just missing something and there's an easier way to get to the virus reports?  I'd honestly like to know because McAfee Total Proection on my parents' computer is reporting a Trojan, I've tried locating it in that ridiculously long list (unsuccesfully), spent time googling (unsuccessfully) for the correct location, found myself here, and finally created an account and wrote this post just to explain to you how silly and frustrating I find your user interface to be.  Now I get to go use up your customer service time to ask a question to a live person that could have just been made easier from the beginning.

• rchc Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jan 16, 2011
    5. Jan 16, 2011 6:12 PM (in response to mrbigshot)

I have the same problem. I chatted with someone online. I even went to log and delete the files under Quarantine. Nothing changed.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,556 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    6. Jan 16, 2011 7:20 PM (in response to rchc)

rchc wrote:

I have the same problem. I chatted with someone online. I even went to log and delete the files under Quarantine. Nothing changed.

Best not to post to old threads but start your own.  I moved another identical post of yours to its own thread here: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/31903

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/01/11 8:20:06 EST PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    7. Jan 16, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to screennamesaredumb)

screennamesaredumb wrote:

There are a few problems in your response.  First, you tell the user to go to look at the reports/logs, but don't tell him/her how to get there.  That's the major flaw in the way the application is designed - one really has to be curious and click everywhere tostumble across the Navigation -> Threats Detected area.  Even there, I have no idea if that's how McAfee intended for users to determine what those ominous Trojans detected were, since it's frankly impossible for anyone to sift through hundreds of "threat" cookies to find a real threat of a virus.  I understand why McAfee would want to make it look like it's finding all these terrible problems on users' computers, but come on, cookies are hardly big threats.  You need to implement an easy way to filter on important vs unimportant threats.

Unless I'm just missing something and there's an easier way to get to the virus reports?  I'd honestly like to know because McAfee Total Proection on my parents' computer is reporting a Trojan, I've tried locating it in that ridiculously long list (unsuccesfully), spent time googling (unsuccessfully) for the correct location, found myself here, and finally created an account and wrote this post just to explain to you how silly and frustrating I find your user interface to be.  Now I get to go use up your customer service time to ask a question to a live person that could have just been made easier from the beginning.

Quarantined logs are separate from the Security Report which is simply a summary of recent events.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center

Click Navigation (top right)

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items

You'll find detections in one of those sections where you can delete them.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
  • gavman Newcomer 2 posts since
    May 17, 2011
    8. May 17, 2011 7:04 PM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Hi there,

Thanks for the help with this.

I did exactly as suggested;

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center

Click Navigation (top right)

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items

You'll find detections in one of those sections where you can delete them.

I deleted everything that was quarantined, have run full scan twice afterwards and still the scan report is showing Trojans: 88 and Tacking Cookies: 694

Does this mean they are a still threat and have not been remaoved,  or have they been quarantined elsewhere (because there is nothing showing in Quarantined and Trusted items)?

How can these be permanently deleted?

In the meantime it says my PC is secure, and 0 viruses and spyware detected...

Regards,

Gavin

May 6, 2004
    9. May 17, 2011 7:30 PM (in response to gavman)

The report is simply an overall record of events.  The actual scna result log is in Navigation > History asnd Logs

That should be clean.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)