8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 10:15 AM by Ravyn

My Antivirus has gone AWOL

I recently updated Security Center. Since then I'm being told that I do not have antivirus protection (which I've always had) and whenever I follow instructions to install it I'm directed to pay to install it despite having an active subscription. Any ideas whats happened?

• 1. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL

Same problem here. Tried chat support but their suggestions didn't work.

• 2. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL

Pity, I've tried virtual technician which has found problems, but it won't fix many of them and at this stage I'm not getting any reply from technical support.

• 3. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL
              Dinz

Hi mgibby,
              I do see from the records that you have an active subscription already paid for. Could you please provide me with the following details :
              What is the computer’s operating system ?
              Do we use the mcAfee removal tool to uninstall the programs ?               

And as in your  case Ravyn, May I know whether you are trying to install the programs using a cd setup ?

Please get back with the above details , we will get this one fixed for you.

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL

Hi Dinesh

A recent update has fixed the problem. A notice on the McAfee support webpage indicated that the message displayed saying that there was no virus protection was a false message.

A bug in a previous update i guess.

Problem solved though

Thanks

• 5. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL
                  Dinz

Glad that you are OK now , please start a new thread if any more issues

Regards,
                  Dinesh K
                  McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 6. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL

I wasn't trying to install McAfees.  It was already in the pc & then after an update, it wasn't there anymore! (And your chat tech support is about useless)

It seemed to have fixed itself yesterday but I updated the video card last evening & it messed up my color. I finally gave up trying to fix it & restored the pc back to the 3rd of this month.

AND NOW!! Guess What??  No virus protection again.  It says all the updates are there . Just got this subscription & I'm very unhappy with McAfee's.

• 7. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL

Hi, Ravyn:

Doing a system restore has a tendency to flummox security software (esp the big suites, such as McAfee), especially if you don't quickly run a manual update as soon as you are restored.

(This is because resetting items in the registry to an earlier date makes the program think it is out-of-date, or worse.)

Feel free to wait for one of the real experts (either a volunteer mod, such as Peacekeeper or Ex_Brit, or a McAfee expert, such as Dinz) to weigh in, but I expect they will probably tell you to:

1) Uninstall McAfee from the control panel > add/remove programs, then reboot and then

2) Download and run the MCPR tool from the useful links, and then reboot and then

3) Reinstall the latest/current version of McAfee from your online account.

Yup, it's a pain. (That's why doing a system restore sometimes "fixes" one issue, only to create another...)

But, if you're on a high-speed connection with a computer that's not too old or too slow, it shouldn't take you all that long.

Hope this helps,,

MM

• 8. Re: My Antivirus has gone AWOL

It ran the update itself as soon as the pc booted back up.

The window for the security system is screwy & only shows half the page but from what I can see it's telling me the pc is protected yet a mouse over of the icon on the start tray/bar says it's not protected.

Been wondering if I could just uninstall & reinstall again.  I know it was possible when I had it in my old PC.. .