4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 3:55 PM by torinfo

vbscript.dll

I've got an Acer TravelMate 8571 with McAfee software pre-installed running WIndows 7 32 bit. I have de-installed this software (not sure waht the exact version was), but now I have a problem with re-enabling vbscript.

I am trying to install a package that requires vbscript custom actions (I know bad idea)

This is what I did.

1. Found out that this has to do with the way vbscript.dll is registered, so, looked in HKCU and there was no reference to vbscript

2. Found reference in HKLM (3 time same CLSID!!) the first was of McAfee, i now realise that this was probable mcshost.

3. Deleted those three keys, which was a pain because of the permissions.

4. Registered vbscript.dll and I get a message the registering is succeeded.

However,  I still cannot install, and vbscript.dll is NOT registered with it's proper CLSID in HKCU or HKLM!

Tried to run MCPR, but that did not help, other than getting a FAILED in the log when vbscript was registered.

What now....?

Oh, and Regsvr32 /u vbscript.dll followed by regsvr32 vbscript.dll does NOT work

• 1. Re: vbscript.dll
          Dinz

Hi,
          May the know if the computer is up-to-date with windows updates.
          While registering the vbscript manually (vbscript.dll) , does it get succeeded?
          Also provide me the exact error message that we receive during installation (if possible a screen shot)

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: vbscript.dll

Yes, the computer is up to date.

When manually registering vbscript.dll, the message indicates that everything is ok, however, I cannot find the correct CSLID in HKLM.

The product I am trying to install says that it cannot execute a VbScript custom action (indicating a VbScript problem)

I am not at home now, so I cannot send you a screendump.

Tm

• 3. Re: vbscript.dll
              Dinz

Hi torinfo,

Could you please confirm if the issue is resolved , if not please provide me with a screen shot of the error message as requested previously. We are happy to help you in getting this resolved.

Thanks<
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: vbscript.dll

I resolved the issue by reinstalling Windows..., so no, issue was not resolved in the way I hoped.