4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 6:00 AM by wurzel_1972

Connectiong External Agent to Local Server

Hey guys, iv been reading the documnetation, and have come to the conclusion that i need to put agents on remote computers and have them linking back to the ePO server at our head office, i was wondering if anyone can give me some help with exactly how i modify the install package for the agent so that it will link to a the epo server over an external ip address.

thanks, Rich

• 1. Re: Connectiong External Agent to Local Server
          rackroyd

I suspect this will very much depend on how these remote computers connect to your head office normally.

Do they use VPN for example ?

I'd be wary about placing your ePO server directly onto a public IP address, since the server contains detailed information about your network.

Some customers place an agent handler in their DMZ and expose that instead as this keeps the database internal and the agent handler is still effectively behind a firewall.

Some customers wait until the remote machines are physically connected to the network before applying an agent, policies and tasks - even if this is not very often.

Policies and tasks still function locally when not connected to the ePO server and you can point dat update tasks at the McAfee public http/ftp update sites so that they will still get daily updates even when not talking to ePO every day.

Rgds,

Rob.

• 2. Re: Connectiong External Agent to Local Server

that is how we have ours set up, and we are not connected via a domain trust, or vpn. i managed to get the agent out, and it comunicated with the server for a minute, just enough to add itself to the sytem tree, however, now im getting errors, where i cant ping, or wake up the agent from within the epo console, however i can ping the client through cmd, on the client side, im also getting, these errors on the clients status log thing

Updater    7/9/2010    8:46:14 AM    Info    Update process failed.   
            Updater    7/9/2010    8:46:14 AM    Info    Unable to find a valid repository.   
            Scheduler    7/9/2010    8:45:22 AM    Info    Scheduler: Invoking task [New Task]...   
            Updater    7/9/2010    8:45:22 AM    Info    Update process failed.   
            Updater    7/9/2010    8:45:22 AM    Info    Unable to find a valid repository.   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:44:31 AM    Info    Next policy enforcement in 5 minutes   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:44:31 AM    Info    Agent finished Enforcing policies   
            Scheduler    7/9/2010    8:44:31 AM    Info    Scheduler: Invoking task [Server Deploy Task]...   
            Scheduler    7/9/2010    8:44:31 AM    Info    Added a new task New Task to Scheduler's task list    
            Scheduler    7/9/2010    8:44:30 AM    Info    Added a new task Server Deploy Task to Scheduler's task list    
            Management    7/9/2010    8:44:30 AM    Info    Enforcing Policies for McAfee Agent   
            Management    7/9/2010    8:44:30 AM    Info    Enforcing Policies for EPOAGENT3000   
            Management    7/9/2010    8:44:30 AM    Info    Enforcing Policies for EPOAGENT3000META   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:44:30 AM    Info    Agent Started Enforcing policies   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:48 AM    Info    Agent will connect to the ePO Server in 21 minutes and 11 seconds.   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:48 AM    Info    Agent communication session closed   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:48 AM    Error    Agent failed to communicate with ePO Server   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:23 AM    Info    Agent is connecting to ePO server   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:23 AM    Info    Agent is sending EVENT package to ePO server   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:23 AM    Info    Agent communication session started   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:23 AM    Info    Agent will connect to the ePO Server in 16 minutes and 12 seconds.   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:23 AM    Info    Agent communication session closed   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:43:23 AM    Error    Agent failed to communicate with ePO Server   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:42:57 AM    Info    Agent is connecting to ePO server   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:42:57 AM    Info    Agent is sending PROPS VERSION package to ePO server   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:42:57 AM    Info    Agent communication session started   
            Agent Subsystem    7/9/2010    8:42:06 AM    Info    Agent uploading 5 events to ePO Server

• 3. Re: Connectiong External Agent to Local Server

I'm having similar problems.

I have an Agent Handler in our DMZ, and systems on the internet can connect to report events and get policy updates.  However, when trying to download updates, it says "Unable to find a valid repository."

• 4. Re: Connectiong External Agent to Local Server

I am also getting this problem.

I have an Agent Handler in the system as its NAT'd. It seems to work for a few days and then comes up with the message Unable to find a valid repository. I have to restart the mcafee services on the server the Agent Handler is installed too and it works again for a few days, then I have to restart the services again and round and round I go.

I have TEST system in place with a Agent handler and the firewall is set to allow any port through temporarily untill this issue gets sorted. This works fine and is continuing to work even after a few days, unlike the other system. So I think it might be a port thats required to be open, just dont know which one.

Has anyone actually got this working and is so what ports have you got open on your firewall for the agent handler.

Any help appreciated.

Dave.