5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 7:55 AM by rmetzger

Import Files / Folder paths exclusion from scanning

Is there a way by which we can import the list of file/folder paths that need to be excluded from McaFee Antivirus scanning, basically a script or something like that?

Thanks

Venkat

• 1. Re: Import Files / Folder paths exclusion from scanning

Hi Venkat,

Let me know if you are a business or consumer customer and I will move your post to the appropriate area.

• 2. Re: Import Files / Folder paths exclusion from scanning

We use Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.i as a standard AV solution. I am from Active Directory team and a looking at possible ways for automating the exclusion of files and folders paths specific to Active Directory as recommended by MS. at the moment we are excluding the file and folder paths manually, however automating this process will help reduce the overall DC Build time.

Message was edited by: tvv1974 on 7/8/10 11:22:50 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Import Files / Folder paths exclusion from scanning

Thanks for the explanation. I've moved your post to our VirusScan Enterprise area so a community expert will be more likely to see it.

• 4. Re: Import Files / Folder paths exclusion from scanning
                Attila Polinger

Hello,

I think currently it is not possible to import (or export) file and folder exclusions in VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.i (and in its management system as well) via the GUI. A possible - not supported - way could be however to import registry settings to the VirusScan registry area from a client where these are has been in place already.

This requires close attention of course, and I waive any responsibility regarding anything including the completeness of this method.

I further am making the assumption that your VirusScan installation is configured for using the Default scenario for OAS ("Configure scanning for all processes").

The exclusions for the Default scenario can be found (for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0 Patch 2) here (on a client where these are has been in place):

HKLM\Software\McAfee\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Default. You can see several ExcludedItem_xx entries. These need to be exported and reimported into the new DC.

Also here is a NumExcludedItems entry, this may need to be imported, too.

HTH.

Attila

• 5. Re: Import Files / Folder paths exclusion from scanning
                  rmetzger

tvv1974 wrote:

We use Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.i as a standard AV solution. I am from Active Directory team and a looking at possible ways for automating the exclusion of files and folders paths specific to Active Directory as recommended by MS. at the moment we are excluding the file and folder paths manually, however automating this process will help reduce the overall DC Build time.

Well, not exactly a list or an import/export method, McAfee Installation Designer (MID) allows for the saving of just changes from a baseline install which can then be deployed either by ePO or the copying of MID.CFG to the local PCs. So, you make the changes and save the changes as you like, then deploy them as needed. This avoids the need to modify the registry and is a McAfee supported method.

Hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzger