6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 1:00 AM by Mal09

All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.

I think this is standard behaviour when you install the agent on a computer, but looking for ideas whether my belief is correct, or any ways to overcome this.

When I grab the Agent from a repository, and install it, eg using framepkg.exe /Install=Agent , it installs with all repositories listed enabled.On the first communication back to EPO, it downloads the latest sitelist.xml and updates them with enabled/disabled etc.

Downloading the agent from EPO itself using the "Create and download  agent installation package" also exhibits the same behaviour as copying  it from the repository.

I know you can use the /SiteInfo=sitelist.xml switch on a manual install and use your own custom sitelist, but I'm curious if there are any other ways to do the same task.

• 1. Re: All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.
          JoeBidgood

This is nearly correct

Repositories are enabled and disabled in the agent policy rather than the sitelist itself - so at initial install all the repos are enabled: on the first agent-to-server communication the agent gets its policy (rather than a new sitelist) and enforces it, thereby enabling and disabling the repos as per the policy.

Can I ask what it is you're trying to achieve? I'm assuming you want only selected repos to be enabled right from the outset?

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.

JoeBidgood wrote:

This is nearly correct

Repositories are enabled and disabled in the agent policy rather than the sitelist itself - so at initial install all the repos are enabled: on the first agent-to-server communication the agent gets its policy (rather than a new sitelist) and enforces it, thereby enabling and disabling the repos as per the policy.

Can I ask what it is you're trying to achieve? I'm assuming you want only selected repos to be enabled right from the outset?

Regards -

Joe

Your assumption is correct. When the agent is first installed (from framepkg) I want it to know that it should only use certain repository sites. I understand the agent downloads policies within 10 mins (randomised IIRC), and then it will get the right repositories, but I want it to occur sooner than that.

Here's my example: during a <non-epo pushed> customised MID install of VSE with the agent installed during the install of it, it downloads a ~80Mb dat file (as it's set to update when the install finishes). How can I choose where it should update from rather than a top-bottom sitelist?

• 3. Re: All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.
              JoeBidgood

Here's my example: during a <non-epo pushed> customised MID install of VSE with the agent installed during the install of it, it downloads a ~80Mb dat file (as it's set to update when the install finishes).

Is there an epo-managed agent already on the machine? As far as I know you can't include an agent package inside a MID VSE package as you can't run an MSI install from inside another MSI install. Or are you referring to the default agent that ships with VSE?

Thanks -

Joe

• 4. Re: All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.

JoeBidgood wrote:

Here's my example: during a <non-epo pushed> customised MID install of VSE with the agent installed during the install of it, it downloads a ~80Mb dat file (as it's set to update when the install finishes).

Is there an epo-managed agent already on the machine? As far as I know you can't include an agent package inside a MID VSE package as you can't run an MSI install from inside another MSI install. Or are you referring to the default agent that ships with VSE?

Thanks -

Joe

I know you can't run a MSI within an MSI, but I do have a call logged about that... perhaps it will end up in your capable hands, where you advise it's just not possible?

So perhaps I gave a bad example.

Let's imagine I have a 3.6x agent in a VSE MID package (which isn't an MSI), and I want to do the same task. Or Perhaps I have an unmanaged VSE client that I want to do a CMA install on.

Is there any way to tell a CMA package which repositories to update from?

Message was edited by: Mal09 on 08/07/10 10:54:59 GMT
                • 5. Re: All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.
                  JoeBidgood

I was just trying to work out the order that things were happening in

About the only thing I can think of - note that I haven't tried this - would be to edit a copy of the sitelist before importing it. So you take a copy of the sitelist.xml from the ePO server, edit it and change the Enabled flag to 0 for the repos you want to switch off, and then import that into the agent using frminst /siteinfo. (Make sure you have the server keys in the same folder as the sitelist.xml.)

In theory that should work until the sitelist gets rebuilt after the forst communication - which is all you need, correct?

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: All repositories enabled in Windows CMA when installed.

Yeah, I suppose that is about my only option. It's a pity there's no way to modify an agent once it's been packaged with a new sitelist etc, and then have that agent which can then be reused etc with the settings.