6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 12:58 PM by mbrogan

Is my data all lost? "Unsupported encryption algorithm" SafeBoot 5.1

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I know very little about Safeboot. Here is what happened...

First mistake - I took my work laptop with me on vacation as I had some loose ends to catch up on. Drive is encrypted with SafeBoot v.5.1.

Second mistake - Near the end of our 2 week vacation I moved several gigabytes of photos and video off my digital camera onto my laptop to clear space on my memory card.

The laptop was running fine when I got back from vacation. However, the next day when I went to the laptop to transfer my photos the display had no text. The windows were present on the screen but no text characters were visible. The only way to reboot the laptop was to power it down. Once it was powered down it started to reboot continuously when powered up. I unplugged the power cable and pulled out the battery. Then I turned it on again and was greeted with this error:

SafeBoot Error

Error: 0xe0060001

Unsupported encryption algorithm

There appears to be no way to boot into the laptop now. I went into the BIOS and did a HD, memory, and startup diagnostic test and all passed as being good. The HD has not failed.

I work for a fortune 100 company with a large IT department. They said there is nothing they can do to recover the HD and they would ship me a replacement laptop.

Our kids are in their later teens and this was probably our last family vacation so I'd really like to be able to recover the photos. Is it true that there is no way to recover the HD? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!