1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 1:24 PM by ciberpuch

Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

I was rooting through the v5/v6 comparison today and came across this:

Are Pre-Boot Themes the same in version 6.0?
      No. The definition of a theme is a server-specific policy setting. It is now easier in version 6.0 to change theme settings such as the background image in the Pre-Boot environment.

Can Pre-Boot Themes be created and/or customized?
      Yes. Themes can be easily created and customized in ePO.

My questions are:

- Other than changing the one background image of the Pre-Boot, what else can be done?

- Where is the theme customization documentation to assist me in this "easliy created and customized" action?

- What does a theme package look like or where can find an example one to work with?

• 1. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

My questions are:

- Other than changing the one background image of the Pre-Boot, what else can be done?

Not much at the moment, can create multiple themes with different backgrounds.

- Where is the theme customization documentation to assist me in this "easliy created and customized" action?

ePO help. Search it for word "theme".

- What does a theme package look like or where can find an example one to work with?

You mean at file level?

Customization is provided by going to:

Server settings -> Endpoint Encryption
          Themes Manage Themes -> This option lets you to add a new theme and to edit an existing theme.

• 2. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

I have previously found my way to the Manage Themes section of EPO and created a new theme base on existing one by adding in my logo png. That works fine, I was just expecting more functionality as when I think of "theme" I expect more options like how Themes are used to customize Windows or a Blackberry device for example. With those the complete end user look and feel is changed, colors, fonts, buttons, etc ...

I found the wording of "Select Theme package to install" and a file browse button, to be confusing as it didn't not really explain that I am just looking for a .png, as when importing of software package into the repository or when importing in help extentions, are both looking for a .zip containing multiple files. That is what I was expecting and why I asked for a file level example of a theme.

Will v6.1 provide the enhanced Theme functionality that I am looking for?

• 3. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

Who knows, maybe already it does if you use McAfee Prof Services....

• 4. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

peter you are wrong here, the entire theme can be customized, right down to the fonts on EEPC6 - it uses GLADE as a UI designer.

You can open the theme XML file directly in Glade and work with it to change anything you like. If you want to know how to use Glade, just look at the docs which come with it - http://glade.gnome.org/

• 5. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

I will change my mind if you write "EEPC Theme and Glade for dummies" . So far Google does not return many useful links on that combination.

How do I get theme xml file?

• 6. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

just unzip an existing theme.

I'll pass on writing another guide to EEPC6 - I wrote the entire 4 and 5 series guides up until the McAfee branded versions came out. I think I'll leave the joy of the new ones to the "next generation".

For docs, just look up "Glade UI" or "GTK+"

• 7. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

I installed the glade and gtk+ and opened up a few of the XML files under the theme folder. This is definately too far in the other direction for my level of knowledge with the galde tool. Since I can change everything, and have no idea would would break if I did, I'm not gonna touch it. I would assume that every UI event is tied back to an action defined in the application and I am not about to mees that up. Hopefully McAfee will provide some form of happy medium, where I can easily change a couple of the look and feel parameters like font, color and logo stuffs without being concerned with breaking the functionality of the interface.

• 8. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

Glade and GTK+ is what you've got I'm afraid - the middle ground is the built in system in EPO where you can change the background picture.

This is not really different from V5 - in that you could change everything by tinkering with the Graphics.ini file, the only thing the theme creator did was to help you break any background pictures into the right size chunks - everything else you were back to modifying the ini file.

In v6, the graphics.ini file is replaced with the XML files, so if Glade is too much, feel free to edit the XML directly. EPO lets you set the background picture your self, so no need for the Theme Creator any more. You could mess with any of the graphics in the theme just by unzipping it, tinkering, then zipping it up again.

Seems much the same situation, except the sophistication of Glade is available if you need it. 

• 9. Re: Customized Theme functionality in EE v6

I'll pass on writing another guide to EEPC6 - I wrote the entire 4 and 5 series guides up until the McAfee branded versions came out. I think I'll leave the joy of the new ones to the "next generation".

Now, after seeing Theme code and Glade UI, I know what you mean. I would pass on that joy too!

1 2 Previous Next