9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2011 6:37 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

Have just purchased and started using a new laptop, a Sony VAIO VPCZ1290S with Windows 7 Ultimate.  So far all is working well and looks like a great machine, but have one concern.  After installing McAfee, it asked me to allow ""oasis2 service 1.0" to access the internet.  Someone suggested it was Sony software, so contacted Sony e-mail customer service to confirm that.  But Sony came back with an e-mail saying that "Oasis2 service is not a Sony preinstalled program and it is a Spyware or Adware-like program designed to disrupt or stop the normal running of a Web site, server, or other Network resource". The person suggested that I "scan the Computer regularly using Virus and Spyware/Adware scanning Software to detect and remove possible Viruses and Spyware on the Computer System".  But a full scan with McAfee does not come up with anything.

So what is "oasis2 service 1.0" and, if it is what the Sony customer service says it is, why does McAfee not pick it up?  And what does it do and what should one do about it?   For now am blocking its access and all seems to be functioning OK.

• 1. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

Moved this provisionally to Malware Discussions.

I can't find much information on this anywhere.  Can you locate it on your hard drive - the file location may give a clue as to what it might be?

(Try Start/Search enter oasis2 snd click Search Everywhere).

Try forwarding it to WebImmune as per their instructions:  http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

Try the troubleshooting steps in this document:  http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

If that doesn't help then download, install, update (important)  and run the FREE version of THIS software and let it remove anything it finds.  Reboot immediately if asked to,

That all said, it doesn't sound like it's anything bad to me, but one never knows.   It's probably part of something else you've installed.

Antivirus applications wont catch everything out there, no matter what brand you have installed.  Always be very careful.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/07/10 9:09:38 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

Thanks for the info.

Per your suggestion looked into directories via the search faciltiy.  It looks like something that was loaded as part of MS Windows. Doing a search for "oasis" or "oasis2service" comes up with a filepath "c:\program files (x86)\DDNi\Oasis", file type "Windows installer package".  Clicking on that file results in a window popping up titled "Oasis2service 1.0 Setup Wizard", giving the option via radio buttons of either repairing or removing it.  Seach also came up with other files of same or similar names, with file types such as "Application" or "Config File".

Did a search on the internet, found an organisation called OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards). Here is the home page: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/   According to its home page, it is ".....a not-for-profit consortium that drives the development, convergence and adoption of open standards for the global information society. The consortium produces more Web services standards than any other organization along with standards for security, e-business, and standardization efforts in the public sector and for application-specific markets. Founded in 1993, OASIS has more than 5,000 participants representing over 600 organizations and individual members in 100 countries."  I looked at the member list, its members include organisations such as IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, and US Department of Defense.

But all that still does not tell me what is does and why it wants to access the internet.

Any more thoughts?

• 3. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

DDNi is the operative word in this case I think....who are they?  It appears that some software was installed from this manufacturer.

• 4. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

Found a website for DDNi.  According the website "Digital Delivery Networks (DDNi) is a PC user experience company that provides software, infrastructure and digital marketing opportunities to personal computer (PC) companies, distribution partners and retailers."  site location is http://www.ddni.com/index.html.

Based on the following information given on its pages, per the below, looks like it is software designed to track ones' activities on a computer.  Am going to continue to block it, and not take any more action for now.

"DDNi is a PC user experience company that provides software, infrastructure and digital marketing opportunities to PC companies, distribution partners and retailers. Founded in 2004, the company brings together rich industry expertise from leading technology companies including HP, Lenovo, Creative Labs, EMU Systems, Apple, Seagate and IBM.

There are four main groups of customers which DDNi provides service integration on the desktop to improve the end-user experience. These include PC OEMs, Retailers, Product and Service providers, and End-Users that all benefit.

End-Users: DDNi helps PC users take control of their desktop with a customizable, clean and personal interface that evolves as their requirements change.

PC OEMs: DDNi’s platform manages a dialogue between PC OEMs and their customer to intelligently interact and recommend software, services, support and products that are in context to the end user’s PC use.

Retailers: DDNi’s platform creates a sales channel for new and complementary products and services “beyond the store” initial purchase.

Product and Service Providers: DDNi increases partner sales opportunities by delivering its products and services in a unified customer-centric ecosystem to enhance, improve, and expand the customer’s computing experience."

• 5. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

Is there anything listed in your program list?  If so uninstall it. 

• 6. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

There is, but will leave it there for now.

Thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

OK, good luck.

• 8. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

Just had the same message about oasis2service wanting to have access to my computer, and blocked it.

• 9. Re: What is "oasis2 service", and to do about it?

It's been a while since this thread was started.  I suggest using a Google Search doe oasis2service and you'll see that is it most likely a Sony service.