1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 1:03 AM by briannash

Support

Hi there everyone,

I work for BT in London and have one of their Panasonic CF18 laptops. The other day my laptop decided to prompt me for a safeboot password, this I entered and it then went to a blank screen with an error code "5060018", with which it now just sits there. I contacted BT laptop support and they said there is nothing you can do and are sending me out a new hard drive, thats fine but I have so much data both personal and work related on the old one. Is there anyway I can recover this, I sensed the BT support answer was just run of the mill and a relatively easy solution for them but it leaves me trying to retrieve all my lost files.Please help!

Regards

Brian

Message was edited by: briannash on 05/07/10 18:14:34 AZOST
        • 1. Re: Support
          exbrit

Discussion moved from Introduction & General Discussion to Encryption: EEM Managed - hopefully a better spot to garner attention - Moderator

• 2. Re: Support

Try reason with them to help you recover data. For company data they take responsibility, but for personal....that's different story.

What would happen if your machine just caught a fire and gutted hard drive?

BTW, can you repost your error message and code? I think you typed it wrong.

• 3. Re: Support

it can be recovered by BT support, but not by you without their help unfortunately. It's their machine so they hold all the keys to it. If they don't want you to recover it, there's nothing you can do on your own.

• 4. Re: Support

In many cases local IT support does not have expertise and resources to go through recovery process. But they might pass necessary information to the user, to allow him to attempt data recovery by himself.

• 5. Re: Support

Simon,

Thanks for your response.Just to clarify if I contact my BT support group, if they are willing to help they should have the technology to be able to help me recover my lost files. As said in my previous email, I sensed the people I initially spoke to on Laptop support were not really bothered and were just glad to send out a new hard drive that does not help.  If they are unwilling to help, is there any way that I can recover them. Once again, thanks for your quick response.

Kindest Regards

Brian

• 6. Re: Support

without their help, no, there is no way for you to get access to your data. Remember, it's BT's machine so they can do what they like with it - the security system is under their control.

• 7. Re: Support

Thanks Simon,

I will see how I get on with my illustrious computer support group tomorrow I wont hold my breath though!

Regards

Brian

• 8. Re: Support

Thanks Peter,

I will see how I get on with our computer support group tomorrow.

Regards

Brian

• 9. Re: Support

Ask them for :

• SDB file (EEM export of your machine, no users, no filesets in export)
                          • floppy disk with SafeTech (created from EEM)
                          • McAfee daily code for EEPC recovery

Please restate what error did you got during pre-boot.

1 2 Previous Next