1 2 3 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 9:04 PM by Peacekeeper

McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Hi again.  I posted a question yesterday, but this is something new I've discovered.  Every day I get a new McAfee icon on my desktop (as if it has just been installed) even though I don't want/have an icon on my desktop (I just use the one on my taskbar).  Additionally, all of my settings are back to square one in my "Home Network" as if it is newly installed.  What's up?  Is this also a known bug?  Very frustrating.  This is occurring on my Windows 7 laptop.  I haven't checked my other PCs because I don't turn them on every day.

Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Betty

• 1. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Hey Phbtbet,I am also having the same problems for about a week.I thought i was going crazy!Every day i log on my Mcafee changes & i have to give all my programs permissions all over again.Mcafee should really extend the offer to get your money back.I have the same thing going on.When can i finally have a product that has been paid for without checking into the forums every week?What a disgrace!I understand sometimes things happen,but how many problems should 1 person have with a paid security product.Once a month?I also understand this message sounds angry.....but i have had never ending problems with mcafee.This is`nt a 1 time glitch,which has become very common here at mcafee.I would appreciate any help again.

Thanks Jack

• 2. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily
            k3tg

Have you contacted Technical Support Chat available under useful links at the top of this page? They should be able to diagnose what is going on with your computer.

• 3. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate your reply.As usual i am sure i will end up doing this,if nobody has anything else to add.I keep thinking Mcafee is going to get their act together......I guess i have a better change of playen poker with jesus.Oh well, i guess reputation is over rated anyway.

Thanks Jack

• 4. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Hey Jack, if you do go to Tech Support and find out what's wrong, will you please post it here so that I (and others experiencing this behavior) will know what to do next?

Thanks!

Betty

• 5. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily
                  k3tg

Betty

May I suggest you go to Tech support also? Your issue is similar to Jack's but on the other hand it may have some differences and they can work with you to resolve your issue as well as Jack's.

• 6. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily
                    Peacekeeper

Issue will be fixed in apatch but you can fix it via a fix here

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100906&lc=1033&pf=1

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/07/10 9:06:05 AM
                    • 7. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Hey Peacekeeper,

Thanks for the help.For some reason i can`t seem to get to this link.I end up with this image posted.Do you know if the fix will be sent in an update?

I really don`t have the strength to go through another tech support episode.I know some people are just trying to do their jobs.But if you knew how many times i have uninstalled,reinstalled and been to tech support you would tell me to get another security software.

Again thanks Jack

mc.PNGmcafee.PNG

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/3/10 9:48:27 AM EDT
                      • 8. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Sorry i posted wrong image to link you gave me.

this is what i get when i click the link.

Thanks Jack

Capture m.PNG

• 9. Re: McAfee reinstalls itself daily

Thank you, Peacekeeper!  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work (or maybe I'm having more issues with McAfee than I realize!).  I turned on my PC today (after downloading and following all the directions to remove the icon) and there is another new icon on my desktop!  I spent all yesterday afternoon, evening, and late night working on issues with newly-installed Office 2007 (I just got it yesterday), so I really didn't have time to pay attention to McAfee.

There is another problem with the new McAfee that I just discovered--I have WD Smartware to back-up my PC and it has always run impeccably and shut-down when requested, but now I am unable to shut it down and after much research yesterday, I discovered that Anti-Spyware and Virus Protection software can take over the drive and run in it.  I tried to test by shutting down the Virus protection (real-time scanning), but McAfee WOULD NOT shut down while the drive was plugged in!

I have been using this for several months w/o any problems with the old McAfee.  I have too many other things to do--is there a way I can return to the 2009 version?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Betty

1 2 3 Previous Next