Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
8433 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2010 12:12 AM by Th3Fa113n1 RSS
Th3Fa113n1 Newcomer 2 posts since
Jul 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2010 4:47 PM

Security Center won't open!

I can't get my McAfee Security Center to open properly. Whether I use the shortcut on my desktop or open the program directly, it won't open. The McAfee logo will appear on the screen, but the Security Center never opens. Even if I scan an individual file, then click on 'view scan details', it refuses to open. It WAS working fine since I got my laptop (about 2 months ago), but then I did a system restore to the factory default (about 2 weeks ago) and it hasn't worked since.

System details:

System: Alienware M11x

Recent changes: The system restore

Help!

Also: is there any way to stop McAfee from automatically removing a downloaded file (.exe) from my computer? It claims that it is a Trojan, but I am 100% sure that it isn't.

• k3tg Veteran 870 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 2, 2010 5:02 PM (in response to Th3Fa113n1)
    Re: Security Center won't open!

I think the system restore may have corrupted some files McAfee uses to run properly. May I suggest you uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Go to useful links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool. MCPR will remove any traces of McAfee that fail to completely remove via Add/Remove and rebbot again. Login to your online McAfee account and download your software.

See this link on your other issue.Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting   McAfee uses Artemis technology as it sees something in the download file you mentioned. They will need a sample of it to analyze and if they see it as no threat they will issue you a special Dat file so your computer will allow it to be used in the future.

Tom K3TG

Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points