2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2010 2:31 PM by dhumes0524

McShield spikes CPU at bootup

mtb20814

Brand new, Lenovo T500 laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 & 3GBs of RAM) running Windows XP SP3. Installed VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i with patch 3 (we are not using ePO - we couldn't get it to work, but that is another McAfee saga). When the computer boots, McShield is consuming 80 - 90 % of the CPU for 5 - 10 minutes. The computer already has the latest DAT file so it isn't spending the time doing that download. We have made no changes to the default install/configuration.

Any and all help is appreciated.

mtb20814

• 1. Re: McShield spikes CPU at bootup

I actually just noticed this myself today...and I am on a Lenovo T400.  I looked at the On-Access Scan statistics and noticed it is just cycling through a folder on the C: drive called SWSHARE.  From my understanding, this folder is used for Rescue and Recovery.  I opened task manager and in addition to McShield, there was a process running that started with "tvt_" and would be second in CPU usage behind mcShield.  This is the rescue and recovery service (from what I read, this keeps the current system state and the backups for recovery in sync).  After stopping this "tvt_" service, McShield usage drops off almost completely.  I am still looking for a workaround besides uninstalling rescue and recovery.  Let me know if you find anything!

Thanks,

Derek

• 2. Re: McShield spikes CPU at bootup
            jstanley

This sounds like VSE is behaving as designed. If a process is accessing a large amount of files on bootup the mcshield service will want to scan those files.

You could exclude the folder entirely. If you don't want to do that then alternatively you could setup low-risk process policies and add the process in question to the low risk process policy. Then disable scan on read/write for low-risk processes and that would also take care of it.