3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2010 4:00 AM by Nitin Kumar

Possible False Positive- Artemis!514094197CA9

The alert pops up whenever I try to load the game Neverwinter Nights on my computer. The file path I am recieving is: C:\Documents and Settings\Sam\Localsettings\Temp\SlntfNT.dll.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Possible False Positive- Artemis!514094197CA9
          Vinod R

It would be great if you could submit a copy of that file @ www.webimmune.net and let us know the submission id.

In addition to this I suspect that the version of JAVA installed on your computer might be old.

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your  system.
          Please follow these steps to remove older versions of Sun Java,and then  update.

You can log on to sun website and download the latest version and remove the older version manually or use a free application I found

Note: Please be advised that the application that is indicated below is freely available for use on the internet and has nothing to do with McAfee Inc.(and hence we will not be able to provide any sort of assistance on any issues or queries releated to this application. Use it at your own risk)

JavaRa will update your computer with the  latest version of Java Runtime Environment and will also remove all  earlier versions of the program! The program is pretty straight forward  and doesn’t have many options.

remove java runtime environment

Click Search For Updates to update to the latest version of JRE. It  basically uses the Java Update program that’s already on your computer  to do this. Then click on Remove Older Versions to remove all program  files, temp files, registry keys and system files.

This can easily free up a good amount of space on your computer if  you have been updating Java for years. Additional Tasks allow you to  remove useless JRE files, the startup entry, remove the Sun Update  manager, and more.

remove jre

Overall, it’s a useful program for people who like to keep their  computers clean and organized.

• 2. Re: Possible False Positive- Artemis!514094197CA9
            Nitin Kumar

Hi

We are currently looking into your sample. I will send you further updates.

Thanks & Regards

Nitin Kumar

McAfee SME

• 3. Re: Possible False Positive- Artemis!514094197CA9
              Nitin Kumar

Hi

McAfee Labs researchers have examined the file in question and no malware was found.

Solution -

As Artemis is updated in real-time there is no requirement to wait for a full DAT update nor to use an EXTRA.DAT intermediate solution. Simply wait approximately 30 minutes and this false will no longer exist or trigger on your system. Depending on the network settings you have or the caching involved between your system and ours it may take slightly longer for this false alarm to be resolved.

Please send us a sample for analysis, in a password-protected ZIP file (password - infected).
              You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at <http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx>

Regards

Nitin Kumar

McAfee SME