3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2010 6:25 AM by rmetzger

How to validate the configuration

Hi,

I wanted to know if there is an easy way to validate my antivirus installtion.

For example, in order to run our application in customer enviornment. We have made some explict settings such as

1.  Disable On demand scan / Full scan

2. Exclude some of the folders from scanning.

3. On access scan is enabled

My application when start  needs to validate that the above three conditions

I was looking up the registry settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Default

Key : ExcludedItem_0

Is there a way to check other configuration settings?>

Does this ExcludedItem_0 varies for different version of VirusScan Enterprise?

How to validate other items?

• 1. Re: How to validate the configuration
          Attila Polinger

Babi,

is your Virusscan software managed by ePO system? If so, why do you want to validate that its settings corresponds to those centrally configured?

If not so, you might want to consider introducing management.

Nevertheless I do not think by other than experimenting and guessing you can find out what registry key controls what VirusScan settings; it is likely not documented (publicly not, I mean)

Attila

• 2. Re: How to validate the configuration

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

we can not be sure if the virus scan software is managed by EPO or not at our customer location.

I am a software enginner and have limited understaing of antivirus management. It will be great if you can provide some more information about what do you mean by introducing the management

• 3. Re: How to validate the configuration
              rmetzger

babi wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

we can not be sure if the virus scan software is managed by EPO or not at our customer location.

I am a software enginner and have limited understaing of antivirus management. It will be great if you can provide some more information about what do you mean by introducing the management

I believe Attila  means (introducing management) adding ePO to the environment. ePO is ePolicy Orchestrator which is a management facility for many McAfee enterprise level products, including VirusScan Enterprise.

Whether your customer's location is managed by ePO is a question for the network or security Administrator at that site. If this customer is using VSE with a valid Grant Number, they should be entitled to use ePO at their site. Whether they wish to . . . well, you will have to have that discussion with them.

For more information, try: http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/demos/quick_tips/index.html

Across the top you will find tabs, one listed is ePolicy Orchestrator. From that tab you can find several quick tutorial videos explaining ePO better than I can.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger