1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2010 11:42 AM by andycg

SecurityCenter not working

When I boot up I get a message saying I'm not fully protected, run security center. But when it opens the window is blank.

Virtual technician wont run and says "Installation ended prematurely because of an error."

Should I reinstall?

Running windows 7

AMD turion dual core 2.2 ghz

4gb ram

• 1. Re: SecurityCenter not working
          k3tg

I would recommend you uninstall the software via Add/Remove programs and reboot. Go to useful links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool to remove any traces of the software that Add/Remove fails to completly remove and reboot again. Then go toy your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Let us know how this works for you.

• 2. Re: SecurityCenter not working

Uninstalled and used MCPR but now when I try to install software computer crashes with

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• 3. Re: SecurityCenter not working
              Vinod R

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 

This Stop error, which can be caused by either software or hardware, indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location it did not have permission to access or a memory location that exists at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can only access other processes that have an IRQL that’s equal to or lower than its own.

Explanation:

This Stop message indicates that a  kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory address to  which it did not have permission to access. The most common cause of  this error is an incorrect or corrupted pointer that references an  incorrect location in memory. A pointer is a variable used by a program  to refer to a block of memory. If the variable has an incorrect value in  it, the program tries to access memory that it should not. When this  occurs in a user-mode application, it generates an access violation.  When it occurs in kernel mode, it generates a STOP 0x0000000A message.

It would  be great if you could provide us with some information on this error and  about your machine.

1. What is the  make of the computer.. ( Dell/HP/Acer..etc..)
              2. The operating system and version  details
              3. Installed  RAM Size
              4. Any  recent other changes to the system Installed Anti-virus Suite other  than McAfee if any.

In addition to this if it’s ok with you could you  please perform some of the below indicated steps? This mustnarrow down  the reason for this Crash .

1. ·      Ideally when a  Machine executes a  Blue screen it there will be a one line error code (  which is an ACPI-related error) . I would need you to capture the exact  error message and post it in your response.
              2. ·        Perform a Clean boot and test if the issue  occurs.. ( see step 2)
              3. ·        If on clean boot issue does not occur... ( Follow  step 3)
              4. ·        If issue still  persists Capture event logs  ( follow Step 4 )

Step 2:

To help troubleshoot error messages and other  issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and  startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A  clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts

a.     Log on to the computer by using an account  that has administrator rights.

b.      Click Start and type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box,  and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
                      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation,  type your password, or click Continue.

c.  On the General tab, click Selective Startup,  and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.

d.  On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These  services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error  Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may  permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use  the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.Also  keep in mind that this may affect the functionlity of the anti-virus  application hence exercise caution when access internet,email or other  storage media.

Step 3:

Enable all McAfee services

a.    Follow steps 2a and 2b to start the  System Configuration utility.

b.    Click the Services tab

c.  Click to select all of the check  boxes in the Service list which is related to McAfee.

d.    Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 4:

Capturing event logs:

The Event Log  Service records application,  security, and system events. With the  event logs in Event Viewer, you  can obtain information about your  hardware, software, and system  components, and monitor security events  on a local or remote computer.  Event logs can help you identify and  diagnose the source of current  system problems, or help you predict  potential system problems.

VEW - Vino's Event Viewer
              We're really only interested in the ERROR type  entries.
              Please download VEW.exe...  by
              Vino  Rosso. Save it to your desktop.

1.  Double click on VEW.exe to  start the program. If you recieve an "Open File" security warning,  press Run.
              Vista users, right-click on VEW.exe  and select "Run as Administrator." If UAC prompts... accept it.

2.    In the "Select log to query"  section check:

o    Application

o    System

3.  In the "Select type to list"  section check:

o    Error

4.  In the "Number or dates of  events" section check either:

o    Number  of events... then  enter any number from 1 thru 20 in the entry box.

o    Date  of events... then  enter the From and To dates you want. (Note...  date format: dd mm yyyy)

5.    Press the Run button.
              When  the process completes, it only takes a few seconds...

6.  Notepad will open with a report file  named: VEW.txt... located on %SystemDrive%\VEW.txt ...  usually C:\VEW.txt.

7.    Please copy and paste the contents of the VEW.txt file, in your next reply.

on 2/7/10 5:06:21 PM IST
              • 4. Re: SecurityCenter not working

Followed step 2 and now windows won't even restart. Just keeps looping with startup repair.

At least it was working before.

• 5. Re: SecurityCenter not working

Done a complete system restore.

• 6. Re: SecurityCenter not working
                    Vinod R

could try performing a full startup repair?

The step we tried was to load the machine with only MS items ( process called Clean boot)

• 7. Re: SecurityCenter not working
                      Vinod R

saw that you have done a system restore.Is the machine stable now?

• 8. Re: SecurityCenter not working

Everything seemed fine until I downloaded security center and tried to run it. got the IRQC bit agin as it crashed.

Have a 30day trial version on computer and it seems to be working so how do I upgrade it to the purchased version that I paid for until February 2011?

• 9. Re: SecurityCenter not working
                          Vinod R

i think I got confused now... currently is the McAfee installed without issues or are you still seeing the crash?

1 2 Previous Next